Is it ok to ask a brewery for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumsboa09

Reaction score
There's a brewery right around the corner from me and I'm curious if its not cool to ask them for a bit of their yeast.

I've only ever heard of breweries being happy to share their yeast, provided you bring your own bottle. Sanitized swing-top seems to be the preferred receptacle.

Depends how nice they are. But if it's not a proprietary house strain then you can buy it at a store.

UnDeadPresident said:
I've only ever heard of breweries being happy to share their yeast, provided you bring your own bottle. Sanitized swing-top seems to be the preferred receptacle.

Awesome to hear. Lets hope they're into it.

I've heard of homebrewers getting jars of slurry when they do a dump...as long as we're not talking about Dogfish Head, and you're not asking for a sample of their proprietary Doggie strain or their Ta'Henket yeast... Seriously though, it probably doesn't hurt to ask...I'd bet most breweries dump at least as much as they save to reuse on their own...worst that can happen is you get a No answer, at best you get some fresh happy yeast...

The breweries here are always happy to help out the homebrewers with yeast. I usually give them 7-10 days notice when I ask. Just don't know what their cropping schedule may be. I also always try to bring them back some samples of the beer I brewed with said yeast.

Schemy said:
The breweries here are always happy to help out the homebrewers with yeast. I usually give them 7-10 days notice when I ask. Just don't know what their cropping schedule may be. I also always try to bring them back some samples of the beer I brewed with said yeast.

I'm actually excited to hear what their response will be.

I get free yeast from work all the time and give it to friends. I probably dump more slurry in a single batch than most homebrewers will use in 6 months or more.

Nightshade said:
I get free yeast from work all the time and give it to friends. I probably dump more slurry in a single batch than most homebrewers will use in 6 months or more.

So they said yea which is awesome. However they wont have any pitch able ale yeast ready until mid week next week. Suck because I am brewing Saturday. Still cool tho, ill have to inquire before my next brew.

So they said yea which is awesome. However they wont have any pitch able ale yeast ready until mid week next week. Suck because I am brewing Saturday. Still cool tho, ill have to inquire before my next brew.

Just make sure you wash it good then it should be able to be stored for quite a while. Also find out what generation it is, most yeast is good until about 7th or 8th then it is getting pretty used up.

I have literally got gallons of yeast from one of the most popular breweries here in Alaska, they are usually stoked and always wanna talk beer. It would really surprise me if they turned you down. I'm sure its getting asked for free beer that gets old with them.

kevin476 said:
I have literally got gallons of yeast from one of the most popular breweries here in Alaska, they are usually stoked and always wanna talk beer. It would really surprise me if they turned you down. I'm sure its getting asked for free beer that gets old with them.

Yea I hear ya, the beer scene in my area is getting real good. I would rather them try my beers at that rate. Hell they're the pros.

i get free yeast from work all the time and give it to friends. I probably dump more slurry in a single batch than most homebrewers will use in 6 months or more.

crying_indian.jpg

Back