Brew Hauler fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was ending a brewday, doing the carboy shuffel, and snap brew huler strap broke on one side. Like my bung, my grip tightened and I only bounced it off the kitchen floor a little bit. I havent checked to see if the carboy is cracked. Just a heads up to everyone using these, keep a tight grip incase it breaks.

2012-11-05_16-10-30_278.jpg

And I was thinking about buying these. That sucks. Oh well at least all the beer did not end up on the floor.

I bought one once, and tried it once, the damn carboy nearly slipped out, and I felt like I sloshed it more carrying with the straps than without (which is an issue when you've got a nice and settled ready-for-transfer finished beer...). I think a good bent-knees deadlift to the chest, with one arm carefully underneath and the other firmly gripping the neck, forearm pressing it to the chest is the (old fashioned) best way to carry a carboy! It helps to have all your necessary doors opened and/or an assistant to clear the way of children and dogs...

I love using the hauler, it feels so much more secure than the dead lift that biochemedic describes. But now i'm going to have nightmares about it breaking. Glad the brew is safe!

I like the Brew Hauler especially with a lighter Better Bottle. If you watch them Amazon you can get the BH shipped to your door for less than $10.00 each.

Glad your beer is (hopefully) safe! When I do use carboys, which is rare, I have a massive bear hug death grip on it that alone has enough force to make me concerned I'll crush it myself.

My suggestion for an alternative is a milk crate. I bought 2 from the container store and moving my glass carboys is much easier and safer.

I use a variation of biochemedic's approach; I use the brew hauler, but I put my arms through the straps up to about mid forearm, grasping the neck of the carboy with both hands. It gives me more control over the sloshing, and I feel like I'm supporting more points on the carboy; should a strap break, I've still got one side, plus both hands on the carboy. It's worked out well.

I put my glass carboys in a milk crate, that gives great support on the bottom (thickest part) of the carboy. It doesn't stress the sides at all, I'm leery of any device that wraps around the sides (weakest part) of a glass carboy. It provides nice handles to move the carboy with and is cost effective. After all the horror stories, backed up with pictures, the last thing I want to do is experience a broken carboy.

I agree a milk crate might the best thing to haul a glass carboy and store. The plastic provides a good buffer between the glass and anything else that it might come in contact with.
I never felt very comfortable carrying my glass carboys with a Brew Hauler specifically because of the weight.

I don't even pick up the full fermenter to put it into the milk crate. I put the milk crate on the floor, empty fermenter in the milk crate, and then drain the kettle into the fermenter.

The first time I used mine I had it in the swamp cooler, and I went to look at my beer fermenting (which I do constantly...It's so awesome!) I noticed one of the seams at the handle was 3/4 unraveled. I'm glad I noticed it, or 6.5 gallons of cherry stout, and shards of glass, would have been all over the spare bathroom. Then when I emptied the carboy, I took the brewhauler off, and noticed another (2) threads 1/2 unraveled. I like that these are made in the US, and I am helping a small business, but QC seems to be a bit of an issue.

The first time I used mine I had it in the swamp cooler, and I went to look at my beer fermenting (which I do constantly...It's so awesome!) I noticed one of the seams at the handle was 3/4 unraveled. I'm glad I noticed it, or 6.5 gallons of cherry stout, and shards of glass, would have been all over the spare bathroom. Then when I emptied the carboy, I took the brewhauler off, and noticed another (2) threads 1/2 unraveled. I like that these are made in the US, and I am helping a small business, but QC seems to be a bit of an issue.

Yes, it ripped at the seams of the handle. Anyone know if a 6.5gal carboy will fit in a milk crate?

I didn't trust the quality of the BrewHauler so for $7 I went to the fabric store and bought some 2" nylon webbing and made my own. Sure it doesn't have the pretty name tag, but I trust my craftsmanship more than someone else's (plus the handles are long enough to be useful, you can one-hand lift a full carboy with airlock installed).

How did it break? Did the seams come unraveled? Just like my climbing equipment, I check the seams on my hauler frequently. I love my hauler - a lot easier to manipulate a full carboy than bare handing it or even using a milk crate.

How did it break? Did the seams come unraveled? Just like my climbing equipment, I check the seams on my hauler frequently. I love my hauler - a lot easier to manipulate a full carboy than bare handing it or even using a milk crate.

In my situation, I ordered two new haulers from the same company. I have had no problems with one, and the second must have been messed up from the manufacturer, as I simply put it on, placed the carboy in the swamp cooler, and noticed the handle was 3/4 unraveled. It was an easy fix to sew back up, but I believe they should be looking at these things more closely before packaging them.

Since then, my haulers get an inspection before every use.

It snapped at the seams, all the thread was broken. You can see how full the carboy was in the picture 4-5gal in a 6.5 gal carboy. I'm freaked out at this point, it may never happen again, but it's in my head. I don't trust it. I'm thinking milk crates with doubled up 1/2" rope handles. I can bust out some boy scout knot skills, even go 4 points of contact.

edmanster said:
on a side note, milk crates are good for storing your carboys upside down after sanitizing.. i just put a napkin in the bottom to collect any liquid if any! :mug:

They're also a great drying stand for the MLT and a perfect carrier for 23 bottles. Some get 24 in there. I don't know how they do it, though.

I love my brew haulers. I do inspect them every once in a while to make sure they are in good shape. But I do like idea of a cheap drying stand.

Milk crates are the easiest and safest in my opinion. I've never had a worry using one. I thought about the brew straps. Once I saw one, no way.

I understand why people like carboys but this thread and most other broken/almost broken carboy threads make a great case for plastic buckets.

I sent a Email to the brew hauler people saying what happened. I was not expecting an answer back but I got one.
"Hey Mike,

To be sure, Brew Hauler, Inc. never wants to hear stories such as yours. To be sure we will replace the Brew Hauler carboy carrier because we are 100% behind our product and want you to be also.

We will also make arrangements for you to pick up a new carboy at the home brew store of your choice...just let us know the best location for you.

We humbly apologize for your accident but hope we can restore your confidence.

Tom Raich
President
Brew Hauler, Inc."

mikescooling said:
I sent a Email to the brew hauler people saying what happened. I was not expecting an answer back but I got one.
"Hey Mike,

To be sure, Brew Hauler, Inc. never wants to hear stories such as yours. To be sure we will replace the Brew Hauler carboy carrier because we are 100% behind our product and want you to be also.

We will also make arrangements for you to pick up a new carboy at the home brew store of your choice...just let us know the best location for you.

We humbly apologize for your accident but hope we can restore your confidence.

Tom Raich
President
Brew Hauler, Inc."

Wow! I am really impressed. I love a company that stands behind their product. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that's good to hear. Just moved my secondary from my spare bathroom to my shop to bottle, and just as I was raising it to my workbench, I heard a thread ripping....it was the threads on the handle of my second brew hauler ripping! Luckily, I was able to set the carboy on the ground without breaking the carboy and losing my cherry stout. I may contact them myself, as I have had handle threads rip on both of my brew haulers.

Back