One Barrel Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I CONQUERED THE TIPPY DUMP!! b!TCHES!!

While sitting at work bored out of my mind, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I needed to mount the pivot point differently than how I was doing it. I got welding and came up with this.

BE60567A-C9A3-4127-9ACA-7AFF18934870-8006-00000A46472AB4AE.jpg

63564AA8-856D-4217-9E87-7AC915A2E5AA-8006-00000A4636D3E952.jpg

D2B31B27-0075-4D94-8BDF-D656D51DF724-8006-00000A462DE1B325.jpg

F6FBFF44-E362-4333-B411-27D266107980-8006-00000A462406839E.jpg

I used the original pivot as a stop for the dump. It will only go to a certain point. Now I just have to rig up a way to keep it locked in place. That shall be Thursday night's challenge. I also went through my 3rd spool of welding wire. Seems like i'm blasting through this stuff!!

Thanks! I'm happy I finally got it working the way I want it. Just some clean up to do and I should be able to prime and paint this weekend. Then the next item on the list is to get the fittings into the BK.

Figured out how I'm going to lock it in place. I'm going to drill a 3/8in hole straight through the bracket and pipe and then put a locking pin through. This should keep it from tipping. See any reason why that wouldn't work?

yea. That should cut down on vibrations as well as protect the MT. I should have more updates this weekend. I'll be getting it painted.

Got the stand cleaned up, the lock pin has been installed. Albeit crooked... It's hard to line up 4 planes up with a hole. It sits level but the hole is cock eyed. Tomorrow is prime and painting. I got an update from my brother in law. He ran into more problems with the panel. I may just end up scrapping it and starting over. :-(

More Pictures!!

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Edit: Talked some more to my BIL. He said that one of the switches hits the receptacle.. Going to order a new enclosure. I want to do this right.

Got the stand primed and painted this weekend. Came out great!! I also found a new enclosure on ebay that will fit my needs perfectly. Shame I had to spend more money to re do it. Hoping I can recoup some costs on the old one. I'll see what I can do. I'll get working on that this week. Should have more updates on that come Thursday or so. The next few day's probably won't have any updates. Doing this while saving for a wedding is tough haha.

3376AAE1-B59E-4A35-B4C3-5E780EAEF3ED-12877-00000D2781552CB2.jpg

BBD0E121-DD54-4129-A9FF-FD096AFA4C1F-12877-00000D2789D6FC50.jpg

3D5101A4-2B3A-4705-A66A-DA6FB5F3CF3E-12877-00000D2792053B3C.jpg

What are your thoughts of doing this without HERMS? Do you think that a 20g - 1bbl batch has enough thermal mass to keep temperatures? I liked having a HERMS before and it worked great. But if I don't need another piece then that's a plus.

I've tried doing single infusion mashes in a 20 gallon kettle with closed cell foam insulation covered with aluminum foil tape. The insulation covered 100% of the kettle (lid, bottom, and sides). Basically a large stainless cooler. I probably lost 5--8 degrees over the course of an hour of an undisturbed mash. It works, but after several batches and lower efficiencies versus a cooler, I reworked the stand to make it a direct fired RIMS. Temps within 0.5 degrees and efficiencies back where they should be.

I think to make a kettle work without temperature control, you need to go with some serious insulation.

Bought a new enclosure and got all the holes punched. Going to prime and paint tonight and get it back to my brother in law. Hopefully now he can get it wired up.

Once payday comes on Friday, I'll be working on buying some tri clamp fittings. Never realized how much these things would add up. I think a 1/4 of my project cost is going to be wrapped up in tri clamp fittings. I love the way it looks and will make a professional looking product. Looking forward to getting this thing done and brew. Will probably have a few more updates tonight. Depending on the amount I get done.

Thanks! Got the enclosure painted last night. We are having company over for dinner tonight so I don't think I'll get anything done tonight on it. Tomorrow I'll mount the heat sink and get it over to my BIL to wire it.

I also want to continue to get the BK holes punched and flared so I can get the Tri Clamps soldered in. I have a keg I want to turn into a keggle and sell for some money towards the project.

3D824552-3C69-4841-9B2F-1B4C9DE7335B-2939-000001CB11317437.jpg

Got the panel put together. Off to the BIL today to get it wired up. One mistake I did make is that I forgot about the labels and didn't leave enough room for them in some spots. So I placed them off to the side. I'm not thrilled with how it looks but it will do.

Going to work on getting more holes in the BK tonight. Debating on whether or not I want to do bottom drain or keep it on the side. Would make clean up soo easy.

Worked on the BK last night. I'm finding punching holes and dimpling is taking forever. I worked three hours on one hole last night. After reading. I think I need a larger coupling on the other side. I'm a fairly strong guy and with out standing on the wrench, it's not moving and neither is the dimpling tool. Going to give it another go tonight. Hopefully I don't waste the night and get nothing done again. I'd like to have that done and the pump and water filter mounted and pump shield made. The fiance won't be around too much this weekend so I should have plenty of time to get stuff done.

Yea I used some good silicone spray. Seemed to help a tad. I'm wondering If i'm not opening the initial hole large enough.

Ended up getting a larger coupling to gain some room for the dimple. It worked! Did two holes in 15 minutes. Worked Great! Saturday I'll get them all soldered in and we should be golden. Then all there is to do is mount the pump and make a shield. Then I get to spend lots of money on shiny bits... Here are some pictures!

0AD0A750-7DBC-4E27-9B73-7842C157EF6B-4823-000002F1E6C91127.jpg

79380556-64BD-4C6E-ACDC-565E42706F4C-4823-000002F1DCCB36F0.jpg

EC7C5128-6635-4C64-9D8D-37A152DD28A4-2939-000002F189B5F149.jpg

3B3AE634-9144-4E4D-B8E8-712D82700E3E-2939-000002F15D0FCF4D.jpg

Thanks!

Called the local Welco this morning and they have the flux. Going to get my C02 filled and pick some up. Tonight I'll see how well I solder some fittings.

I also ordered a thermometer for the mash tun and some other tri clamp fittings. Hoping to get the keggle made tomorrow morning and up for sale. Then I can buy more fittings!!

awesome build man. cant wait to start brewing myself got a little man on the way so put a hault on progress but is giveing me alot of time to learn

awesome build man. cant wait to start brewing myself got a little man on the way so put a hault on progress but is giveing me alot of time to learn

Enjoy that little man--you will have plenty of time to brew as he grows. There's nothing like brewing a batch with my three sons! And my youngest "little man" is 6'5"!!! They don't stay little for long!

+ CoalCracker---you are doing a great job!

Picture with everything together. Got all of the soldering done today. I have some more fittings on the way! Should have the site glasses built this week. Depending on Sandy...

image-30545700.jpg

Thanks Rick and 1fast. It's been a lot of fun. I just have to figure out where and how to mount the control panel. I'm thinking of building a hinged mount and have it swing out when in use and then swing in when storing it.

If you have the budget, I've seen builds use flat panel TV mounts for the control panel. They can handle the weight, have the mounts, and most can swivel around - but they cost a couple bucks.

Not sure how I like the idea of a tv stand. I've seen it done on other stands and really haven't been able to make myself like it. I think I may just build one out of extra steel I have laying around. Make it pivot and lock into place when in use. I have to do more staring at it. Also was able to make the site glasses this week. Not sure if I like how far they stick out.

9B1939D8-907B-4F1E-AB30-64FD20AECFE5-11014-000006DAB4FD090B.jpg

Also looking to purchase a chiller. I was looking at the Chillus convolutus from more beer. I like the ease of cleaning. However, I'm not sure how well that is going to chill a 20 gallon batch of beer.

Do you think this would work or should I go for a plate chiller? I had one before and believe that led to some infections. Would like to stay away if possible but if it's needed. I'll just have to be more vigilint about cleaning it out.

Nice doing business with you the other day, plan on getting some good use out of the keggle. Your build is looking great keep up the good work. Also, where did you get the clamp rings for your tippy-dump?

Yea it was nice to meet you as well! The lock pins are from McMaster. I like that they lock in place. This way it won't accidently back out and cause a dump.

Just did some window shopping and calculated that I'm about 600 bucks away from being up and running. This number is +/- 100 lol. The majority of that cost is in the stainless fittings. 30 bucks a ball valve and 25 a dip tube, it adds up quick. Hoping to be brewing on this by the new year... Was hoping by turkey day but that isn't going to happen. Not on a wedding budget.. :(

I don't know if the CFC will have enough gusto to chill that much wort. I'd probably have to build a 50 footer to make it work. That's a lot of space and would probably cost about as much as a plate chiller by the end.

On a side note, my BIL sent me a text last night with a picture of the control panel wiring so far. He's doing a great job!

1CC441CF-0C10-4142-8E11-EAECCBB89ED2-1900-000001544EEBAC7F.jpg

CoalCracker said:
I don't know if the CFC will have enough gusto to chill that much wort. I'd probably have to build a 50 footer to make it work. That's a lot of space and would probably cost about as much as a plate chiller by the end.

On a side note, my BIL sent me a text last night with a picture of the control panel wiring so far. He's doing a great job!

Maybe I'm wrong, but a CFC should work fine. It'll cool 5 gallons of wort same as it will 50 gallons, just a little longer.

Back