Adding brown sugar to a brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
I got a partial mash recipe from the local brew store and it calls for 1 lb of brown sugar, but they never indicated when to add it. Should I add it near the end of the boil? Or after the boil? Any ideas as to what would work best would be greatly appreciated!

when i add it, it's at 15 minutes left in the boil. it can replace the molasses syrup called for in many beers (esp scottish) at .8/1, also

lumpher said:
when i add it, it's at 15 minutes left in the boil. it can replace the molasses syrup called for in many beers (esp scottish) at .8/1, also

Great thanks a lot! Should I worry about burning the sugar? I have an electric stove and am wondering if maybe I should dissolve it in some water first

Do you fin any difference between dark and light brown sugar? I have both here I'm just wondering if you find an difference between the two.

And just so I can know for the future, why do you add at last 15 min of boil? Why not 10 or 5?

dark makes it darker and a little sweeter, as it has more molasses. 15 minutes is just a good time for mixing it in completely and sterilizing

lumpher said:
dark makes it darker and a little sweeter, as it has more molasses. 15 minutes is just a good time for mixing it in completely and sterilizing

Cool thanks for the tips!

lumpher said:

Just to clarify,it's sanitary not sterile. I know that's kind of nitpicking but there is a difference. Definitely don't boil longer than 15 min because you could lose some volatile flavor and aroma compounds.

Latest posts

Back