CO2 Tank Safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Konvel

Reaction score
Well, I'm on the verge of starting to keg (have all my equipment and kegs should be delivered today), and while looking for places to fill my CO2 tank I got to thinking maybe I should take some safety measures while transporting the tank in my car.

To those who have been kegging, how exactly do you transport your CO2 cylinder? Do you just throw it in the backseat / trunk? Do you attach your regulator to it ASAP?

The more I think about it the more paranoid I am about driving around with an 800 psi tank of CO2 in my car :eek:

edit: For example, I'm currently at work with my (empty) CO2 cylinder out in the car. I don't have any other equipment with me. Would it be safe for me to go get it filled during my lunch break and leave it in the car, as the weather has cooled down around here? Is it okay for the tank to sit on it's side?

why not just bring it inside with you to make sure. then if any one asks what its for... theres your chance to bring your hobby to another!!

I would put the filled bottle either in the trunk or on the floor in the back seat. Laying it on it's side isn't a problem. Generally, I leave the regulator at home, but if I need it, I'll detach it from the tank. This is more to protect the regulator than anything.

Leave a window cracked if you put the bottle inside of the car and cover it so the sun can't shine on it. Anything under 125F is safe (pressure under 2000 psi).

Just starting kegging myself but I've handled tanks working in bars before. As long as it isn't rolling around loose you should be ok. I'm assuming it's been tested and all. The tank itself is very sturdy obviously and unless something happens to knock off the valve itself your ok.If the valve were to just open all you would do is loose the CO2

2nd Street Brewery said:
Just starting kegging myself but I've handled tanks working in bars before. As long as it isn't rolling around loose you should be ok. I'm assuming it's been tested and all. The tank itself is very sturdy obviously and unless something happens to knock off the valve itself your ok.If the valve were to just open all you would do is loose the CO2
My biggest concern is that it will crack open somehow as I'm sure fates would conspire to have something bump the knob on the top. I take it that if the valve opens just a little that it's not going to explode or some crazy business?

edit: regarding testing, I haven't had it tested, but if I'm reading the markings on it correctly it was manufactured less then a year ago which I hope means it's safe to use.

I think you're fine (but don't quote me!). People with nitrous installed in their cars are running 900-1100psi and intentionally heating their bottles before use...not sure how much different a CO2 bottle/regulator is, but I'd think they're pretty similar.

Just don't let it jump around too much and it will be fine.
If anyone is worried about it blowing up in a hot environment, some interesting info is HERE from a HIGHLY knowledgeable and trusted member of the jeeping community. This guy is the Greg Noonan of jeeping, so I trust everything he has to say.

Cliff notes:

A properly filled CO2 tank can be half buried in the Mojave desert, all summer long, without any chance of it venting. It is not until the tank is overfilled AND ambient temperature is high that the recipe for a blowout is cooked up.

I might add that the safety valve blows at 3000 PSI. This is long before the tank would fail. If it happened when you were in the car, roll down a window, pull over to the side & clean out shorts :D

I realize these are different gasses, bottles, etc, but here's what can happen if a pressurized gas bottle blows up in your car.

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/nitrousexpress.htm

explosionPic1.jpg

Thanks for the reassuring photo, Eskram
sweat.gif
Glad to know that was an NO tank blowing after the pressure safety valve failed, though - poor car :(

I just lay the sucker on its side in the back seat and make sure it can't roll or move around much. I also crack all of the windows.

From my chats with the filling guys, having the tank blow up is less of a concern than the possibility of CO2 filling the car and causing you to pass out. If you start to get a serious headache while driving with the old tank in your car, pull over and get out.

Eskram said:
I realize these are different gasses, bottles, etc, but here's what can happen if a pressurized gas bottle blows up in your car.

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/nitrousexpress.htm

explosionPic1.jpg
There's a huge, huge difference between a highly flammable NO mix in the trunk that goes boom than a completely non-flammable CO2 tank that, at worse, could have the valve cracked. If that happens, all that will happen is that the tank will take off like a projectile. If you happen to be in the way, then OUCH, but otherwise the vehicle shouldn't end up like this picture.

The biggest risk from compressed gas cylinders is if the stem gets knocked off - as in this demonstration from Mythbusters:

[ame="http://youtu.be/ejEJGNLTo84"]http://youtu.be/ejEJGNLTo84[/ame]

Do not transport cylinders without securing them in some fashion so they can't roll about. Cylinders should be stored in a secured place where they won't accidentally get tipped over, risking shearing off the cylinder stem.

The stem should have a high pressure release valve built into it - which should vent gas if high temperatures result in excessive pressures, preventing explosion of the tank itself.

As an anesthesiologist, I work with compressed gases (oxygen) on a regular basis, and cylinder safety is important...

Back