Top Tier Indoors ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nediver

Reaction score
I have searched the net and everything I find says not to use propane burners indoors. I am confused though. I have a gas furnace, gas dryer, gas water heater, and gas stove. But I am not on a natural gas line, I get LP delivered to my home and have 200g tanks. Why can't I safely use this product indoors the same as my other appliances?

If this has been covered somewhere I apologize all I could find was "no" but little in the way of why these appliances work and a blichman product for example would not.

All those things are exhausted outside. A burner doesn't have an exhaust pipe.

You can do it but you better have some kind of exhaust system otherwise you will kill yourself.

The burners we use put out a lot more BTUs than your stove, hence a lot more oxygen getting used up and producing a lot more Carbon Monoxide. Without proper exhaust and a very good fresh air source, you will deplete the oxygen in the area of the burner, then it's sleepy time.

It's possible to set up, but you should consult a gas professional or a fire marshal.

I thought about the venting, but that doesn't account for the stove.

Ed- Thanks for the advice...i really would like to make this work, and safely.

where would I learn more about electric. I am able to DIY from a skill standpoint however my time is precious right now. Are there commercial examples that are available?

I've seen pics of folks doing this in side. IIRC, they had a box fan blowing air into the room, and another box fan stuck in a window to exhaust air. And a CO detector.

Hell, I practically brew inside. I brew inside my garage, door down, all sealed up, in the winter. Of course, the garage door isn't an airtight seal, but it's not far off. I use two turkey fryers and have a 40000 BTU NG garage heater mounted to the wall, oftentimes all three running at full blast, (I've found all three running at full blast can rocket my garage up to 90*F in under an hour....and that's when it's -5* outside...). I just keep a CO detector on the workbench next to me, and no worries.

where would I learn more about electric. I am able to DIY from a skill standpoint however my time is precious right now. Are there commercial examples that are available?

The electric forum has some great advice about going electric safely. There are a lot of resources out there if you search.

One DIY example would be:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview

You could also purchase the components premade:
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/Build-Your-Own-SS-Electric-Brewery-276p2810.htm

Back