Keggle return port ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
Hey there,

I am looking for some ideas to use in my brew setup. I would like to see what others have done for BK return ports/MTL recirc ports on Sankey keggles.

Pictures are always nice.

Thanks!

Kegglerecirc2.JPG

Brewstand_Trubpile.JPG

DSCN3220.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

P1020423.JPG
Whirlpool_fitting.JPG

SANY0226.JPG

SANY0227.JPG

Nothing fancy, but it works very well for me. I may switch to 1/2" copper tubing but the reduction to 3/8" makes for a very good whirlpool.

Brotherhood Brew inspired my BKreturn. It fills from the bottom. When its time to cool it whirlpools for you.
Snake10

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

Snake10, how do you like the Bazooka tube pick-up? I am using a side draft pick-up ala stainless scrubby to filter break material etc. I am finding that whirlpooling collect the break material in the middle. Do you run into issues with the Bazooka clogging following the whirlpool?

I may rig up bottom flow return like yours and then rig for a central dip tube a 9" drill stainless MLT bottom and see how that works.

inside_BK_-_first_wort_hopping.JPG

The copper pieces of the return are press fit only, to easily take apart and replace with different lengths. The chiller coil here is mounted on SS unions, so it can be removed as well.

Cold break definitely forms in the middle, your right. The Bazooka works fine for straining out the cold break. When I'm complete with chilling, I open the ball valve and let the wort gravity drain into my fermenter. Flow is great. After that is complete and i look in the bottom you can see where the Bazooka blocked all or most of the cold break without clogging. I use hop bags so that also helps the bazooka. It all works fine.
Snake10

Budzu, nice pic. Tell me more about the chiller coil? Simply a built-in immersion chiller?

Thanks, yes its a 50' coil of soft copper, with hard copper straights so it mounts solid. There is an identical coil in my HLT so their tasks are flexible. More of them in my gallery.

Back