Can you Brew It recipe for Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1068
FG 4.5 plato
SRM 35.9
IBU 35

70 minute boil

4.3kg U.S. 2-row
1.45kg weyerman smoked malt
670g dark munich
670g crystal 80
300g carafa III
60g UK chocolate (475lov)

12.5g summit 18.5%AA FWH
43.8g crystal 3.25%AA @20m

WLP001

Mash at 154 for 60min

Ferment at 69F

add 0.56g per gallon of gypsum and 0.56g Ca Carbonate to the mash

Discussion notes:
JP actually used carafa II instead of carafa III.

The listed ingredients do not give the expected OG, looks like a base malt is missing or an error in the amounts listed? Either way, thanks for the database Eric!

Why would you want to use a neutral yeast like wlp001 instead of a more malt-forward strain? maybe like wlp002, s-04, or one of the British strains. with 3+ lbs of munich in there you're going for a malty flavor i'd think.

Why would you want to use a neutral yeast like wlp001 instead of a more malt-forward strain? maybe like wlp002, s-04, or one of the British strains. with 3+ lbs of munich in there you're going for a malty flavor i'd think.

In my opinion, the malt is what is accentuating the malty flavor, not the yeast. WLP002 would make a more fruity, estery beer, not necessarily more malty. Mashing high (at 154F like the recipe calls for) as well as the grain bill, will accentuate the malt flavor. I think an english strain could possibly distract from the desired flavor profile.

But that is only my opinion.

Eric

In my opinion, the malt is what is accentuating the malty flavor, not the yeast. WLP002 would make a more fruity, estery beer, not necessarily more malty. Mashing high (at 154F like the recipe calls for) as well as the grain bill, will accentuate the malt flavor. I think an english strain could possibly distract from the desired flavor profile.

But that is only my opinion.

Eric

plus, the head brewer from Captain Lawrence was on and said they use one of the Chico strains (wlp001 or wyeast 1056, I forget which). They used the wyeast version of the Anchor Liberty yeast for the first couple of years before switching.

plus, the head brewer from Captain Lawrence was on and said they use one of the Chico strains (wlp001 or wyeast 1056, I forget which). They used the wyeast version of the Anchor Liberty yeast for the first couple of years before switching.

It's 1056, like most brewerys they have a few strians that manipulation with temp. and pitching rates. They used 001 at first as their house American strain but it didn't produce the dryness they are after in their beer such as the double IPA.

It's 1056, like most brewerys they have a few strians that manipulation with temp. and pitching rates. They used 001 at first as their house American strain but it didn't produce the dryness they are after in their beer such as the double IPA.
Capture Lawrence has three yeasts they use.
i know them very well because they give me their yeast:)
Been a long time since I bought yeast or made a starter.
Literally gallons of gorgwously bubbling yeast:)

Anyways they use:

A koelsch strain
A belgian ale
An american ale

The liquid gold is made with the belgian the porter the american if i remember correctly.
i can ask him next time im there if it means a lot to ya.

Capture Lawrence has three yeasts they use.
i know them very well because they give me their yeast:)
Been a long time since I bought yeast or made a starter.
Literally gallons of gorgwously bubbling yeast:)

Anyways they use:

A koelsch strain
A belgian ale
An american ale

The liquid gold is made with the belgian the porter the american if i remember correctly.
i can ask him next time im there if it means a lot to ya.

I do the same and that's how I know the smoked porter (and DIPA and the APA...) is made wyeast's 1056 Chico strains...

A note on this recipe for future brewers. The carafa III used in this recipe is the Carafa III SPECIAL, which is made from dehusked grain.

Back