Flame Problem on Turkey Fryer Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadbill

Reaction score
Hi all;

I recently busted out my turkey Fryer burner (usually used for brewing) to steam some lobsters this past weekend and had some issues with the flame that I could not resolve. Not a big deal for the lobster steam (finished them off on the stove), but its something I need to fix before my next wort boil.

Instead of the usual bright blue, hissing flame I got a tall, flickering yellow flame. After turning off the propane at the regulator, a small flicker of flame persisted for 10-20seconds suggesting that the propane continued to trickle out of the burner.

Its not the propane tank that is the problem (same problem with other full propane tanks) and adjusting the air intake had very little effect on the flame. Is this a problem with the regulator on the turkey burner? Other than some sort of clog in the burner/venturi tube this is the only thing I can think of. Should I attempt to repair the regulator (maybe cleaning the valve on the top) or try to replace the regulator?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I apologize that I don't remember the model of turkey fryer. I bought it via mail order a number of years ago.

to me that sounds like something is obstructing the air intake. Look through the air intake regulator, if you see something obvious like soot, debris, spider eggs, etc. clean it out. If you don't see anything, clean it out anyway, you can use an air compressor. Stick it in the air intake and blow. You could also use a garden hose for this, but you'd have to dump the water out and let it dry before using it.

good call....there was a spider's nest in the tube....I took the burner apart, blasted out the tube with water and then stuck in in the toaster oven to dry the water out. I'm pretty sure this will do the trick.

Thanks!

I may not be much of an expert when it comes to brewing beer, but I do have some of experience when it comes to propane burners. :)

You could prevent spiders from getting in there in the future by installing a small mesh screen over the air intake. you might even be able to find one specifically made to fit at a hardware store.

Back