Danby DAR440BL kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzydog1

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the start of the kegorator conversion. I have completed conversion of door. A two tap tower will be added when it arrives this week in the mail.

image-1995307384.jpg

View of fridge out of the box

image-2665688615.jpg

Panel from inside of door removed. My fridges panel was held on with adhesive. I had to use my dremel to remove it

image-1489491884.jpg

Plexi was attach to protect foam using an adhesive an silicone in one. I used a clear silicone around the edge. I painted the plexi flat black to match the rest.

image-2516406265.jpg

View with door attached and gasket reattached.

image-1118019700.jpg

Home Depot. They don't carry in store, so I had to order offline and had delivered to my local store. They got it in about 3 days.

Looks great! It appears there is plenty of room without having to move the thermostat. Are you using ball lock kegs?

Thanks a lot! Yes I am using ball locks. Two kegs fit in no problem. Just had to strap the tank to the back to keep it up.

I have the one with the SS door from Costco. I had considered putting a tower on, but recently was thinking about just putting my 2 taps on the door and raising the fridge off the floor. Anyone done this? Think it would work alright on this mini fridge?

Home Depot. They don't carry in store, so I had to order offline and had delivered to my local store. They got it in about 3 days.

I like what you did with the door. I found this fridge brand new on Craigslist for $115. I am nervous about the door project. Can you go into a bit more detail on how I should cut the door? Did you remove the gasket then cut? How did you reattach the gasket and plexi? I have a dremel so I want to know the process so I don't screw up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-conversion-danby-440bl-294606/

Not to hijack, but I had grand plans for my door but I ended up putting in a piece of plexiglass from a box store and it was fine.

For my fridge, once the seal screws were out the interior fridge plastic came right out. The plexiglass was a perfect replacement.

The only real issue I've ended up having with this build is how easy the tap is to pull...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-conversion-danby-440bl-294606/

Not to hijack, but I had grand plans for my door but I ended up putting in a piece of plexiglass from a box store and it was fine.

For my fridge, once the seal screws were out the interior fridge plastic came right out. The plexiglass was a perfect replacement.

The only real issue I've ended up having with this build is how easy the tap is to pull...

Hey thanks! I think I've read that thread. My door doesn't have screws, it is glued and has to be cut just like the OP's.

I finally got around to finishing the conversion. Here are some more pictures.

image-2182606758.jpg

The hole for the tower and screw holes drilled out.

image-1737878337.jpg

Used aluminum tape to cover the exposed foam.

image-1777257125.jpg

The tower installed.

Attachments

• image-2923109597.jpg
    image-2923109597.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 478
I just used the suppled hardware that came with the tower. Was a gasket for the top and bottom and 4 bolts with wasters and nutts. Was very surprise that the tower was very sturdy and didn't need anything to support it from the inside. Was going to use a small plastic cutting boards but didn't end up using it.

As far as the door goes. Just scroll up a bit and I put pictures and a brief description already.

How it the tower temp going for you? Did u put a fan in there or are u using copper pipe. I'm still debating putting a tower on my danby or taps off the front.

I haven't done either as of yet. Fridge temp is kept around 40. So far so good. Beer pours cool first pour and then cold from then on out. In due time I might add the fan. Was thinking of foam pipe insulation first on the lines and seeing if that does anything. Can you zip ties on the lines and cut them to fit. They are pretty flexible.

This is the fridge I'm looking to get as I jump into kegging. What length beer lines are you guys using in this? I'm just going to start out with picnic taps for now but will probably add a tower or maybe even door taps in the future.

This is the fridge I'm looking to get as I jump into kegging. What length beer lines are you guys using in this? I'm just going to start out with picnic taps for now but will probably add a tower or maybe even door taps in the future.

I completed this conversion in half a day. I recommend just buying the tower now, you won't regret it! Here is a pic of mine.....

IMG_0798.jpg

My tower came with 5' lines, I have no foaming problems. I get some foam on the first pour but the beer is cold and it tastes great. Every glass after is awesome. I did this conversion for under $400, including the two kegs. A factory kegerator with dual taps easily goes for $600 or more. Do it and don't look back :ban:

Nice. Maybe I will just go for the tower from the get-go. Do you have a fan or copper piping to keep the tower cool? What temperature do you normally keep the fridge at?

No fan. Right now I don't see a need for one because the beer is cold and a tiny bit of foam is no big deal. My fridge is set to 40 degrees and it holds very well. You can still buy a picnic tap in the event you bring your keg to a party or something. I have one that I use for bottling or when I bring my keg to a friends house.

Nooo! Did you guys buy up all these fridges? HD says no longer available online.

The tower looks great! I can't wait to build one of these.

I got one... I think. Like you say, the actual page says out of stock, but I was able to order by using the search box (search for danby) and then clicking on add to cart from the search results page.

Worked for me, so far anyway... Got the order confirmation email.

PS I assume you're talking about the $159.20 DAR440BL at Home Depot. If not, move along... nothing to see here!

I got one... I think. Like you say, the actual page says out of stock, but I was able to order by using the search box (search for danby) and then clicking on add to cart from the search results page.

Worked for me, so far anyway... Got the order confirmation email.

PS I assume you're talking about the $159.20 DAR440BL at Home Depot. If not, move along... nothing to see here!

Thanks for the tip, but I still can't get it. Seems to be when I put my zip code in is when it says they don't have it.

Try Wal-Mart. I just bought mine a couple weeks ago online and had to shipped to store for free.

I ordered an Igloo brand from Walmart. Came beat up and didn't cool. I took it back and got my money back. I won't order from Wal-Mart again. I've got a 3 CU FT Igloo I got off Craigslist I'm using to build a single-tap kegerator. Got a 12' line (I can always shorten it if it's too long) and I bought a used tower w/tap off here. I bought a generic dremel from Harbor Freight and cut the foam and plastic can holders off the door last night. Just debating on which way I want to go with the door -- do I want a dry-erase board or do I want plexiglass? Either way I think I'm going to put a 1/4" piece of rigid foam insulation on first to help it keep cool.

Back