Wine thief suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmug

Reaction score
I know its a small purchase but it seems I read mixed reviews about any wine thief I find.

Any recommendations and/or thoughts on what NOT should be bought?

I like the actual wine thief because I can drop my hydrometer in there for testing gravity, I don't need another vessel like you would with a turkey baster.

Had mine for 2+ years now, it's getting a little gunked on the bottom but otherwise it works just as well as day 1 :)

i like the actual wine thief because i can drop my hydrometer in there for testing gravity, i don't need another vessel like you would with a turkey baster.

Had mine for 2+ years now, it's getting a little gunked on the bottom but otherwise it works just as well as day 1 :)

+1

I'm always afraid the rubber on a turkey baster can't be cleaned and sanitized properly, particularly when it gets older.

Now no-one dumps the drawn test back into the fermenter, right?

I use a plexiglass wine thief and it is very long, which is good for taking a sample from the middle of the fermenter, not just the top. On the other hand, the length makes them a little awkward to clean and sanitize.

Most turkey basters I've seen are quite short, although my LHBS has long stainless ones, alas with a regular rubber bulb, not silicone.

Be careful with "dropping" hydrometers into any vessel. If they bottom out, they'll very likely crack.

I bought a wine thief, but I found it pretty awkward to use.

I typically use buckets for fermenting, so nowadays I just take the top off the bucket, then dip in a thoroughly cleaned & sanitized coffee cup or beer sampler glass and pull a sample that way.

That is the one I have...I think it works great and couldn't imagine using anything different. Stick it in, pull it out, drop hydro in, read, drink sample.

I think it's cool, but it's just something I wasted money on. I use a Refractometer, and roll a drop off a knife.

Off thread;
I thought you couldn't rely on the refractometer once hop additions, Irish moss, etc. were added as it through off reading. That's the only reason I haven't gotten one. I hate the big sample volume loss with the wine thief. Anyone have comments on this thread spin off?

It's dead nut's every time. I do check it. Their is an app for my phone that converts FG. I'd never go back.

I don't think it has a name, it's a cheep one off amazon 25$ Works great though. I always wondered if it would read as well with thicker beers like a stout? I don't know how many beers I've made, but it's a lot, taking these readings is more of a look cool in front of friends type of thing.

Back