My Simple Cider results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayfound

Reaction score
Just bottled my first cider.

While my Carboy was full, a neighbor gave my father in law a new Mr. Beer kit, i snatched it up to use the fermenter for Cider: Here's the recipe/Process. Since the kit had it already there, I used the Mr Beer dry yeast, and gave away the Extract kit.

Brewed on 1/04/2013.

2 gallons juice
17.4 oz table sugar boiled with pinch of citric acid
Steeped raisin liquid
Og 1.070
Pitch at 74f , 5g Mr beer yeast pitched dry

Bottled 2/11/13 - FG: .997 ( note to others. I figured it was done at 1012. I KNEW it was done at 1002. It wasn't done until .997

9.4% Final ABV

Primed 2.0 Gallons with 3.5 fl oz Apple Juice concentrate (45.5 grams sugar - 1.6 Ounces)

Samples have been very dry/white wine like. Primed with apple concentrate in hopes of getting some apple flavors/aromas to develop more in the bottles.

Next batch will derive all sugars from apple juice (Juice + additional Concentrate). Going to pitch on top of yeast cake tonight.

Cleared nicely in primary.
i84SCKbh.jpg

2-gallon batch is a bit of a let down in terms of bottles generated.

E7hXqMih.jpg

That's a strong cider! Well done!

Well, i didn't intend to make something so strong, but I did. So I may as well do it again right? It is dry, but no hot alcohol flavors.

Last night I pitched 2 gallons of apple juice plus 2.5 containers of Apple Juice concentrate right on top of the yeast from the 1st batch. It came out to 1.069 OG, so assuming it also settles in around the same FG, I will have an interesting comparason: If the one with Concentrate added will taste/smell more Apple-ey than the one boosted with sugar.

I'm mid-fermentation on my first cider brew. I used a different method than I've seen here on the forums (per my LHBS) but so far all seems right.

5 gallons of apple juice (pasteurized)
5 cups of cane sugar

Warmed the whole thing to 90 degrees for 30 minutes

Added 1/2 t of Wyeast yeast nutrients

Held 90 for another 15 minutes

Dumped to primary, cooled to 75, tossed in a vial of WLP775 Cider yeast and airlocked.

24 hours later I had a thick krausen and steady bubbling in the lock. Today (day 3) it's still plugging away.

I'm going to prime with corn sugar, like you would a batch of beer and pasteurize 8 days later (per knowledge I picked up here on HBT).

Cider is so stone age simple. I love it.

Back