Isinglass???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingman

Reaction score
I just want some opinions on how to clear my beer with isinglass. I have 5g of citra pale ale in a carboy that I dry hopped 8 days ago with 2 oz. citra. I plan on bottling the whole batch. If I add the isinglass now and wait 2 days then rack to a bottling bucket won't I just rouse all the hop material up? Also, will the isinglass drop too much yeast out that my beer won't carb up properly in the bottle? Thanks in advance to your replies!

I don't think it will drop much of anything out in 2 days. I usually chill my beer to as cold as I can get it (easy for me with a chest freezer) and then pitch the isinglass and wait a week or so to do it's magic. You aren't going to rouse up anything while racking if you do it right meaning just hold the racking cane above the trub while you're doing it and give up on that last beer and a half sitting at the bottom. It's worth it for cleaner beer.

Isinglass won't get rid of all the yeast though so you should be good to bottle I think.

I be tried both isinglass and whirlfloc. Whirfloc seems to do just as well, and is cheaper.

Back to your question, put it in fermentor, and if you can, cold crash for at least a couple days.

The hops should compact with the trub. just make sure to rack carefully. There should be plenty of yeast left to carbonate.

Isiglass is my favorite clarifying agent. It is of best effect for me after about four weeks in secondary at about 38*f. Usually 4-5 days will clear. Besides, fish bladders are good for you....

Latest posts

Back