Keg to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just kegged my first batch and I am enjoying fresh draft beer on-demand (really bad idea by the way). My question is that if I wanted to put some into bottles from the keg, will the carbonation and freshness last?

Look into getting a beer gun or counter pressure filler. Just filling the bottles from the tap will make a mess and waste beer. It can be done, but not as easily as with the CP filler of beer gun.

These are useful if you just want to transport the beer somewhere (friend's house or something) but not much of a long term solution. I also use them to empty a keg if I need to fill one.

Just put them on a 2L soda bottle and fill it up with beer from the tap. Then put this cap on and pressurize.

Here's a less than $5.00 item that I use with great success.

A simple racking can along with a #2 drilled stopper.

BottleFill_1.jpg

The racking cane fits very snugly into the spout of a picnic tap.

BottleFill_2.jpg

Place the end of the racking cane into an empty beer bottle with the end touching the bottom of the bottle. Set the PSI down to around 4-5. Open and lock the tap and hold the cork down tight against the bottle neck. The bottle will begin filling and stop when it pressurizes.

BottleFill_3.jpg

Simple push against the cork a bit to allow gas to escape and the bottle will continue to fill (from the bottom) all the way to the top.

Remove the racking cane (CLOSE TAP FIRST) and cap.

Make sure to cut the end of the racking cane at an angle so beer can flow freely into the bottle.

BottleFill_4.jpg

I bottle off a sixer of all my kegs for later consumption. I popped a porter from March and it was perfect.

Nice pics BierMuncher. I was going to suggest the same thing. The only difference is we used a regular bottling wand inserted into the picnic tap as opposed to the racking cane. We filled 12 cases of 22oz. bottles at Stix Brewery that have been distributed to a couple of specialty bottle shops for retail sale. The carbonation and flavor hold up perfectly.

Brewtopia said:
Nice pics BierMuncher. I was going to suggest the same thing. The only difference is we used a regular bottling wand inserted into the picnic tap as opposed to the racking cane. We filled 12 cases of 22oz. bottles at Stix Brewery that have been distributed to a couple of specialty bottle shops for retail sale. The carbonation and flavor hold up perfectly.
That's a good idea. I have a bottling wand I don't use right now so maybe I'll give that a try.

you can fill bottles without anything but a racking cane if you're planning to drink it in 24 hours too. works nice for taking growlers to parties.

I got myself a beer gun - pricey - but it works really well.

Kilroy

Back