recipe suggestions please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmelt11

Reaction score
Hey guys I was hoping someone might have a sugestion as to what I could brew with the mix of grains and hops I have left over from previous batches and that I have picked up recently. I was thinking maybe a pale ale/ IPA, amber or even a brown ale. This is what I have. 7 lbs 2 row, 2.5lbs 6 row, 2lbs vienna, 2lbs munich, 1lbs roasted barley, 1 lbs black malt, 1 lbs chocolate malt, 1 lbs golden anked oats, about 1lb of Crystal 60, 1 lb Honey malt, and some oatmeal. I have a lot of hops to choose from too. Tettnanger, Stryian goldings, Amarillo, magnum, willamette, centennial, Northern brewer, perle, cascade pellets and leaf. Yeast I have wl001, us-05, and nottingham. I would greatly appreciate some suggestions with what to brew with what i have. I am kind of wanting to do something with the munich or vienna or both because I haven't used those before.

Thanks all!

You could make a pale ale with a little bit of vienna or munich. If you're wanting to use some of the darker malts, you're going to have to consider making a brown ale or a porter.

do an american brown:

7 lbs 2 row
1 lb munich
1 lb vienna
1 lb C60
4 oz chocolate
4 oz black

bitter with Magnum to about 30 IBUs - about a half ounce should get you there
aroma/flavor with centennial and cascade - half ounce to 1 ounce each at 15 and at 5 depending on how much hop character you want
dry hop with amarillo - 1 oz

ferment with 001.

I'll plug it into beer tools and see if something like that works. just off the top of my head it looks good.

edit, yeah...that should make a solid american brown. Big malty backbone with good american hop presence

cool, yeah I've been messing around with the ingredients on beersmith, but I've been working so much OT I haven't been able to sit down and hash something out. I was really lost on which way to go with the hops for a brown. Thanks so much for quick responses!

do an american brown:

7 lbs 2 row
1 lb munich
1 lb vienna
1 lb C60
4 oz chocolate
4 oz black

bitter with Magnum to about 30 IBUs - about a half ounce should get you there
aroma/flavor with centennial and cascade - half ounce to 1 ounce each at 15 and at 5 depending on how much hop character you want
dry hop with amarillo - 1 oz

ferment with 001.

I'll plug it into beer tools and see if something like that works. just off the top of my head it looks good.

edit, yeah...that should make a solid american brown. Big malty backbone with good american hop presence

I more or less agree except add in the naked oats. No wait, even better, toast the oats @ 425 for 30min beforehand.

so....

7.00lbs 2-row
2.00lbs 6-row
2.00lbs munich
1.00 vienna
1.00 toasted oats
0.50lbs c-60
0.38lbs chocolate
0.25lbs roasted barley

bitter with magnum (around 25-30IBU)
flavor (15min) with centennial and perle/northern brewer (around 15-20 IBU)
flavor (10min) centennial cascade (5-10 IBU)
aroma (5min) amarillo, cascade, and perle/northern brewer (1-5IBU)

mash around 152. Gives you a super delicious malt backbone against a good hop profile. Solid double India Brown Ale.

Ferment with WLP001, notty, or 05. Any of them would work well. I would know, I have used them all on india brown ales.

Normally I would not include the vienna and I would up the chocolate so I wouldn't have to depend on the roasted barley, but if you have it you might as well use it right ;)

First-

Robust Porter
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 5.750 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.5%%
Bitterness: 25.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 28 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 7.000 lb
Munich Malt Grain 1.000 lb
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz
Black (Patent) Malt Grain 4.000 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 8.000 oz
Total grain: 9.250 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Magnum 13.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 24.8
Willamette 5.0%% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 0.8

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Followed By -

Oatmeal Stout
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 5.750 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.8%%
Bitterness: 49.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 37 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount
Munich Malt Grain 1.000 lb
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 8.000 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 8.000 oz
Pale Malt (6 Row) US Grain 2.500 lb
Vienna Malt Grain 2.000 lb
Roasted Barley Grain 1.000 lb
Oats, Malted Grain 1.000 lb
Oats, Flaked Grain 1.000 lb
Total grain: 9.500 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Magnum 13.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 49.8

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Notes -

The Porter is basically my Coal Porter here on HBT (q.v.) with the addition of Munich malt and a different bittering hops variety. I <3 Magnum. ;) If anything, it'll be a slightly more malty version of an already tried-and-proven recipe.

The Oatmeal Stout is off the top of my head; thanks for the jigsaw puzzle! :D It's really quite (too?) complicated, but may work out. Who knows?

Vienna and Munich malts have enough diastatic power to convert themselves a little more besides. The 6-row ought to have enough 'oomph' to convert the oats (NB: My grist lists your Golden Naked oats as Oat Malt) as well as itself, and the Crystal and roasted grains don't need conversion. I don't like finishing hops in non-Imperial Stout styles, so I didn't include any. I put a very high, out-of-style bitterness against the low OG because of all the body-enhancing ingredients in the grist.

Cheers!

Bob

Back