Too many Hefeweizen yeasts to choose from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a Pauliner Hefeweizen clone and am trying to decide what yeast to use. The choices seem to be:

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen (3068)
Wyeast Bavarian Wheat (3056)
Wyeast Bavarian Wheat (3638)
White Labs Bavarian Weizen (WLP351)
White Labs Hefeweizen Ale (WLP300)
White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale (WLP380)

I am wondering if anyone can give any insight as to which is closest to Pauliner. I'm sure they will all work fine but I am trying to get as close to the real thing as possible.

TIA
Patrick

I've only used 3068 - it was very good in a weizenbock but I'm not sure something else on the list is closer to Pauliner or not.

You forgot Wyeast 3333 - German Wheat.

The best Pauliner I have had was on tap, and it had a slightly tart finish. 3333 is supposed to have a tart finish, so it might come closest.

Me, I use 3068 and sometimes, 3638.

:ban:

I've tried 3068 and 3638. IIRC 3068 was a little more subtle in flavor. 3638 was big and bold. Incidentally, my wife loved the 3638 because she digs the banana flavors. But, I liked 3068 because it was a bit more balanced.

WLP300 I used once, earlier this year. The Banana flavor/aroma is very strong, dare I say obnoxious. But it fermented like a champ, and the house smelled great for a few days. No starter, pitched directly. I hate Paulaner, so I can't really comment on that aspect.

I am getting ready to make a Pauliner Hefeweizen clone and am trying to decide what yeast to use. The choices seem to be:

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen (3068)
Wyeast Bavarian Wheat (3056)
Wyeast Bavarian Wheat (3638)
White Labs Bavarian Weizen (WLP351)
White Labs Hefeweizen Ale (WLP300)
White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale (WLP380)

I am wondering if anyone can give any insight as to which is closest to Pauliner. I'm sure they will all work fine but I am trying to get as close to the real thing as possible.

TIA
Patrick

Using the following page for reference you can see that some of the strains you mention are the same between the 2 different yeast manufacturers:

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast = 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast : Weihenstephan 68
WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast = 3638 Bavarian Wheat Yeast : Weihenstephan 175
WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast = 3333 GermanWheat Yeast : Weihenstephan 66?

So that narrows is down to only a few choices. I've used WLP300 in the past and it had really heavy banana/clove esters.

Thanks for the link - that is very intersting. I talked with another source that says 3056 is as similar to Pauliner as I'll get and 3333 is a close second. I've use 3068 before but it was for a different beer at a much higher gravity so I don't think it will compare very well.

WLP300 I used once, earlier this year. The Banana flavor/aroma is very strong, dare I say obnoxious. But it fermented like a champ, and the house smelled great for a few days. No starter, pitched directly. I hate Paulaner, so I can't really comment on that aspect.

That's the same strain as Wy3068. If you want to cut the esters, ferment it cool, around 62*F.

If you ferment it warm, it goes WILD.

That's the same strain as Wy3068. If you want to cut the esters, ferment it cool, around 62*F.

x2, I used the WLP300 on my first batch and fermented at a higher temp 72-74*, and got a very strong banana tasting beer, which is what I was going for, just made the same beer, but fermented at around 64* and got a whole different beer.

That's what I noticed as well. Last time I brewed with it was in my brewing infancy and before I starting controlling fermenting temps. Man that was a funky funky beer. Not necessarily bad - but overly flavorful.

I did a little searching and found that 3056 is actually a blend of ale and wheat yeast strains (I'm guessing maybe half 1056, half 3068?), so it will likely produce fewer fruity esters than a full blown hefeweizen yeast.

Also, someone mentioned using a dry yeast and I think that's pretty much a no no. Since a hefe is a yeast focused beer (hefe literally translates to yeast) you should buy the highest quality yeast you can which in this case would be a liquid. I'm all for dry yeasts in certain situations (clean ales normally) but liquid appears to be the way to go here.

I did a little searching and found that 3056 is actually a blend of ale and wheat yeast strains (I'm guessing maybe half 1056, half 3068?), so it will likely produce fewer fruity esters than a full blown hefeweizen yeast.

Also, someone mentioned using a dry yeast and I think that's pretty much a no no. Since a hefe is a yeast focused beer (hefe literally translates to yeast) you should buy the highest quality yeast you can which in this case would be a liquid. I'm all for dry yeasts in certain situations (clean ales normally) but liquid appears to be the way to go here.

I have had decent results with Danstar Munich dry, but lately that yeast has turned to crap.

I did a Weisenbock with WB-06 that was drinkable, but more from the malt taste than anything the yeast did.

Yeah, liquid is the way to go for a Hefe. Picked up some fresh Wy3068 last night.

:mug:

I used the WLP300 and got strong flavors/aroma as well (though it is why i chose the yeast and fermented it at the high end of its range (75*))

I used the WLP300 and got strong flavors/aroma as well (though it is why i chose the yeast and fermented it at the high end of its range (75*))

Mine was the Hank's Hefe extract kit from Midwest. After bottling, it hit it's flavor stride after about 4 weeks and then the flavor started trailing off. But at 4 weeks in the bottle, the insane banana started to mellow a bit, and it was a very well balanced and delicious hefeweizen. I would definately use the WL300 again, no complaints really, my original comment read sort of of condescending. If I make another Hefe, I'll probably try a different yeast, solely for the sake of trying new things, nothing wrong with the WL300 though.

WLP380 is a little less subdued banana / clove flavor. It's there but not in your face. I love the hefe I made with it.

Back