Craigslist Score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagan

Reaction score
I went out to Pewaukee to pick up a solitary CO2 Tank... well, lets just say I came home with more than I expected. Let me know if you can identify things that I'm unsure of, and how I did as far as the sale goes. I apologize in advance for the poor photos.

--3 Tanks-- There are no markings on them to indicate size though
1 ~ 10#
1 ~ 5#
1 ~ 15#
IMAG0020.jpg

--2 Regulators--
1 - Perlick (Older and does not seem to read properly)
1 - Perlick (Reads great)
IMAG0021.jpg

3 Taps (all in pretty poor shape, but appear usable)
2 Shanks
Handful of valves and 50psi check valves
IMAG0023.jpg

1 Hoff-Stevens Keg Coupler - Twin Probe
1 Sanke connector

IMAG0025.jpg

These I was having trouble with. I have 2 of them. One appears to have a garden hose attachment.
IMAG0026.jpg

I am assuming that these are old co2 valves?
IMAG0027.jpg

Golden Gate Beer Keg Coupler
IMAG0028.jpg

????
IMAG0029.jpg

????
IMAG0030.jpg

Beyond that:
Couple of washer kits
Hose clamps
~25' of Perlick air hose
And some other odds and ends.

Like I said, I went to go pick up a 5# tank. Ended up with this stuff for $50. Pretty pleased thus far. Is any of the extraneous stuff worth while or possibly valuable to me later later on in kegging, or is it a lot of old garbage?

Wow, JonW, way to be a wet blanket ;)

Nice score there Sagan. That's a good variety of misc parts, from a DIY standpoint, even if some of it isn't in the best shape, you can make some useful stuff out of it.

I'm curious about the Golden Gate beer couplers, is that another propietery keg? Two post design like a corny?

Yeah, sorry about that, but sometimes it is what it is.:rolleyes:

The goldengate taps were used years ago with kegs that had the CO2 inlet at the top and the beer outlet port at the side bottom. I've still got a set just like those...

I had no idea what it was. I did some searching and came across this:

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=173838&source=nextopia

"This hard to find beer keg coupler is sought after by homebrewers to fit Golden Gate style kegs. The set includes a faucet and vent. No company manufactures these parts anymore, so they are used, but should be in good working condition. Each vent and faucet set is sold as is. The coupler set shipped to you may vary slight from the one pictured."

Just exchange the CO2 tanks vs getting hydro test. Hydro test is $15 dollars for a #20 tank, to exchange it at home depot was $22.

I wasn't aware Home Depot did tank exchange. I was going to look into Praxair, but Home Depot would be a lot easier. Thank you.

I wasn't aware Home Depot did tank exchange. I was going to look into Praxair, but Home Depot would be a lot easier. Thank you.

Praxair will bend you over. Since you're in Milwaukee, I'll suggest Discount Liquor on Olklahoma (or in Waukesha) or any of the area Otto's Location (Elm Grove/Menomonee Falls, etc). As far as I know, they both fill, but have to "ship" your tanks out if they need a hydro test.

I went to Otto's. The Hydro test was $6 and Co2 was $1.50/lb. If you need a hydro test, the process can take 2-4 weeks. Otto's has loaner tanks that you can use in the mean time (so I'm told). I was lucky enough to drop my tank off the night before the bi-weekly pickup, so it was only gone 2 weeks : )

Also, I'm unaware of any local Home Depots that exchange Co2 tanks. If you find some, let me know.

That was a sweet deal. I wonder how I missed it. Are you looking to get rid of one of those tanks?

You can sell any unusable parts for scrap at Action Recyclers in Wauwatosa. That's what I've done with some hoff stevens couplers that I couldn't give away.

Praxair will bend you over.

+1 on this.

A couple weeks ago I had the day off so I swapped a CO2 tank while I was out instead of going to the welding supply place (Weld Specialty Supply) by work. Praxair took me for $26 on a 5-lb tank--$4 a lb and a $6 hazmat fee. :)confused: - I drove the thing over in the front seat of my car, and don't need a placard, and I'm going to *drink* it, and you say I need a hazmat fee?) Plus, the guy just about flipped his lid when I walked into the store carrying it...apparently the sign reading, "Pull up to the loading dock for cylinder exchanges" includes the tiny ones.

My friend Gedvondur swapped his tank out the day after at Airgas (his side of town) and it was $17...$2.50/lb and only a $4 hazmat.

Yeah, nice score. I've gotten some good deals on the Milwaukee area CL too. I wonder how I missed that one! :D

The Hoff-Stevens taps are pretty much junk. I have two myself. Not sure what to do with them.

Check out Beverage Equipment in Oak Creek. They are a Perlick dealer and have reasonable prices. I've bought air and beverage lines by the foot and they have o-ring kits to rebuild/refurbish sanke couplers. I've also bought o-ring kits to rebuild the faucets.

I ended up using the air lines and clamps I had and threw together a keg setup. I ended up going to Northern Brewer in West Allis, and picked up the basic stuff I needed. I will most likely be throwing away the shanks and taps that I picked up, they've chipped and oxidized terribly.

@kevin9167/Scotty_g
I appreciate the info, I will definitely avoid going to Praxair. Also, I'm in discount liquor on Oklahoma all the time, I was completely unaware that they did fill-ups (even if they send it out). I am looking into unloading one of the tanks too, most likely the 10lb tank. I think it'd be useful to have the big one (for at home) and the small one (for travel and emergency use). Do they do filling on the larger tanks?

@Cookiebaggs
Too bad to hear about the Hoff-Stevens being junk, though I figured as much. The Sanke tap looks brand new, I don't think it's ever been used. Also, I found the tanks online one night, they posted it at 10:45pm, I emailed him at 12:30am, got the call to pick up the next morning.

last picture in the 3rd post appears to be the makings of a counter-pressure bottle filler. Not sure though...

My buddy and I just scored a 90 bottle drying rack, an immersion wort chiller, a 5 gal glass carboy w/brushes, and a blowoff hose...

All for $30!!!

Just scored 33 brown bottles (22 oz. size) with cardboard carry box. Craigslist for free! Mmm, beer.

Back