Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for telling me out the inbox.

SWMBO wants bubbles... I might go the Nottingham route 1st since I can't find anyone who's been able to carb Montrachet with corn sugar.

I think SWMBO would poo poo the 7UP or Club Soda idea.

Schlenkerla said:
I might go the Nottingham route 1st since I can't find anyone who's been able to carb Montrachet with corn sugar.

I used the Montrachet and got good carbonation with corn sugar. Took about 3 weeks in the bottle. Unfortunately I did't document how much corn sugar (I think it was 1/2 cup) since I plan on kegging my next batch. Hopefully I will have all the equipment by then.

Jimi,

What size batch?

How long did you let it sit, before bottling?

I recall hearing the sediment packing is tight. I wonder if the people who had low carbs needed to repitch.

Hello all,

This is a great thread, though a bit daunting in length - 53 pages of reading left me thirsty, thank you Toot for the summary. Now I gotta hurry up so I can wait 4-6 weeks to try something tastey. I am a big fan of ciders, my favorite is Strongbow, but with regards to Scrumpy Jack - ick, I'd rather drink Hornsby! Blackthorn is nice. I've onced tried some really strong local "Scrumpy" cider while traveling in Wales - I was already well into my cups that night though. It's about time I try my hand at "brewing" some.

Here's what I am thinking about:

4 gallons Apple juice
1 # brown sugar

SafAle US 56 (it's on hand)
2 tsp. yeast nutrients

MadPoet said:
Here's what I am thinking about:

4 gallons Apple juice
1 # brown sugar

SafAle US 56 (it's on hand)
2 tsp. yeast nutrients

I highly suggest starting with the original recipe. It' shard to try to improve on something if you don't know what it tastes like to begin with. ...and honestly, the original is darn good.

Schlenkerla said:
What size batch?

How long did you let it sit, before bottling?

I recall hearing the sediment packing is tight. I wonder if the people who had low carbs needed to repitch.

5 Gallon batch, 5 weeks before bottling. I went straight by the origional recipe but just had to wait an extra week to bottle .... THANKS AGAIN ED :ban:

I just got on the band wagon!!

I went as the recipe goes, using the Montrachet yeast, however I included yeast nutrient. I checked out a couple written sources, and a nutrient is recommended with ciders.

Now to wait it out...

Well, I've been keeping my eye on this thread and I finally made a cider on Friday using Tree Top from Costco and Red Star Primere Cuvee Yeast. My LHBS was out of Montrachet. Today, (Sunday), I got about three hours worth of nasty rotten egg smell but that was it. Cleared up super fast. Since I'm 3 or 4 days into this, does anybody have any idea if it is too late to add yeast nutrient? Should I even bother?

Thanks Edwort for posting this recipe. Can't wait to try it.

I had to use Primere Cuvee yeast on my first batch of Apfelwein as well because my LHBS didn't stock Montrachet. The apfelwein was a little rough at first but after a month in the bottle it is great. I liked this Apfelwein so much I got a second batch going already.

I'm not that familiar with yeast nutrients but by following Ed's recipe exactly I fermented down to 0.995 so I don't think it's necessary (ie wasting $)...

In my readings about nutrients most of the time they are not necessary in beers because all of food items needed for the yeast are present in the malt. Two exceptions were noted. Those were with Cider and Mead.

Montrachet is a Red Star product. The Superfood from RED Star is recomended for ciders. So thats why I went that route.

http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/wineyeast/superfood.html

Chuck's good book says you can also use yeast extract too (yeast hulls). He also says it quickens the fermentation process, less chances of stuck ferments.

The nutrients are suppose to lessen the sulfur production too. Its supposedly undesireable. I imagine the rotten egg rhino farts are sulfur . I don't think it hurts to try this from the start. The other recomendation I read was you could do this if you rack to a 2ndary. Overall it think there less potential for morning after headaches.

Forgot to say thanks to ED!! - Thankyou!!

Mine's barely chugging away. Not quite 24hrs but its about 56'F

After doing all the reading I could on this topic, I have decided to try to make a 3 gal batch. I am going to use the Nottinghams, biggest reason is that it seems to have worked fine for some, and I cant have the serious sulpher smell since I dont have a basement. It seems like it could not be easier, but I didnt see too many people saying they had good results carbing it. I was hoping to bottle this like a beer, along the same idea of a woodchuck cider. Has anyone had any luck bottle carbing? If so using what and how much?

Holy crap I just realized mine has been in the primary for a month. I'm waiting on my kegs to arrive from orfy's ebay guy (uber slow, BTW!)

This will be an experiment in autolysis.

chillHayze said:
Holy crap I just realized mine has been in the primary for a month. I'm waiting on my kegs to arrive from orfy's ebay guy (uber slow, BTW!)

This will be an experiment in autolysis.

Shouldn't be a problem. I've gone 10 weeks in a primary carboy (I never secondary) and it actually was the best batch so far (well aged).

I headed up to the North Coast (Lake of the Woods, MN) for a few days of ice fishing and this thread continues to grow. WOW.

Well, I got a batch going today! I stuck with Eds recipe to a "T"....just cut it in half due to my space restrictions.....

Really excited about it! I love dry red wines...and I love ciders.....for that matter I love beer too! Anyways....I am hoping that Mrs. Stonedog will like it too, that way I can get her to support the habit! She is a big cabernet and merlot fan....so my fingers are crossed!

It should be ready to bottle on 2/7...that is 4 weeks from today.....but we will just hav eto see....we keep our house at 67F in the winter....should be a good temp....as far as I can tell.

As a side note....this is the biggest thread I have ever seen...and I post the 4 other boards! Awesome!

Thanks Ed!

Stonedog said:
It should be ready to bottle on 2/7...that is 4 weeks from today.....but we will just hav eto see....we keep our house at 67F in the winter....should be a good temp....as far as I can tell.

I'm just slightly below that temp in my basement, and I think you're on target. I've not measured the FG yet, but the bubbles have finally slowed. It's not cleared terribly yet, but I used an unfiltered cider from a local orchard (heated to 180F for 15min, then cooled)

I can't wait to get this into bottles, and have it age!

Finally was able to get a batch together follwed Eds recipe except the yeast. I went with Nottinghams Ale Yeast. I also had to make a 3 gal instead of a 5 gallon. Have it in a room that stays 70*. Guess I will have to wait and see what happens. Hoping there is an outside chance that it would be ready to bottle and consume for the SuperBowl Party.

I found this info about the Red Star Montrachet yeast.

http://www.cfhb.org/mead/yeast_strains.htm#mont

It comments on the need for nutrients. Although this is for meads

My batch is 3 days old and still chugging slowly @ 57'F. ~ One bubble a minute. I was thinking I had to move this under an air vent or upstairs where its warmer. I might be on the edge temp wise.

They post two temps; on one I'm too low, the other it would appear that I'm OK.

Schlenkerla said:
I found this info about the Red Star Montrachet yeast.

http://www.cfhb.org/mead/yeast_strains.htm#mont

It comments on the need for nutrients. Although this is for meads

My batch is 3 days old and still chugging slowly @ 57'F. ~ One bubble a minute. I was thinking I had to move this under an air vent or upstairs where its warmer. I might be on the edge temp wise.

They post two temps; on one I'm too low, the other it would appear that I'm OK.

I've never used nutrients and I ferment at room temp. Chugs great after the first day and will slow down after a week or so. I have a batch started 12/26 and you should see the bubbles running up the side.

Ed - Thanks for the recipe.

I'm going to let it go for a few more days. If it gets any slower I'll move it some place warmer.

I can't wait to taste it, I'm hoping to carb it naturally. Some people have used 1/2cup corn sugar per 5 gal another has used 1/2 for 2.5 gal. I thinking I'll use 3/4 or 1 cup. I want the carb to very effervescent. Did you ever do anything other than keg this recipe?

There bubbles running up the side, tons of tiny ones stuck to the top, every once in a while several larger ones race up to the top. By the way my 5 gal carboy is 1" from the brim. I did not get it all in my carboy. I had an extra 6 oz of cider leftover. There's very little air between the top and airlock. Maybe my scale is on the light side?? Might of added more sugar.

Schlenkerla said:
Ed - Thanks for the recipe.By the way my 5 gal carboy is 1" from the brim. I did not get it all in my carboy. I had an extra 6 oz of cider leftover.

I use Better Bottles and I usually have about 4 oz. left over simply from the foam from shaking up the two gallons with the corn sugar, so that's OK.

With Montrachet yeast, it will ferment out lower than 1.000, so expect a dry cider. The main thing is to keep an open mind and have two to three glasses before passing judgment. Most folks who've tried it that way can see the light and come summer, they'll have a very refreshing cold drink when it is hot out.

Just remember the kick.:cross:

OMG this thread is insane. Anyway, I already killed my 5 gallons, made with ale yeast and it was delicious. However, a friend of mine, gonzoflick, brought over some using edworts original recipe, and I must say, dry is the way to go. It seems to have a much cleaner taste. And this is coming from someone who hates dry wine....

:mug:

Update! My batch of Ed's Apfelwein is chugging along nicely! 5 burps per minute out of the airlock! Air temp is 65 this morning....will warm up to about 67 when the sun gets up full. Apfelwein is nice and cloudy too....which I assume means that the yeast is doing its business!

Now the waiting!!!!

Yep Mine also is really active @ 70* using Ale yeast. Looking forward to this. Still never saw any thing about anyone having sucsess bottle carbing this like a beer. Is it possible?

JohnnyK68...I plan on giving it a try! I bottle carb...its all I have ever known to do...I add 1/2tsp of priming sugar to each 12oz bottle....so far....no explosions....

I just make sure that I put ONLY 12oz per bottle and ONLY 1/2 tsp per bottle....each bottle has a line marked on the side...so I know how much to put in each bottle exactly.....

I just let it sit in the bottles, in a room, at room temp for another week...then chill it in the fridge...worked great for the first batch of cider!

I just wanted to chime in as a fan of this thread (and long involved, useful threads in general). One of my other hobbies is building speakers and there is a famous thread on open baffle speakers that went on for a year and a half (and is still going I think). And yes, it inspired me to build a pair of open baffle speakers.

Anyway, I took the plunge on December 30 using the EdWort recipe. From all appearances, things are coming along swimmingly. Has anyone tried any other of Costco's juice offerings with this recipe? I know they have a passion fruit blend and polmagranite, athought it is expensive.

Cheers to you all :fro:

I've pretty much done this exact recipe with pomegranate and a pom/blueberry blend juice. It comes out nice, but needs to age a lot longer than the apple. The pom gets a bit tart straight out of the carboy, but samples from the bottles i've put down show it's smoothing out nicely. If you can afford the juice, and have patience, I would definitely suggest trying it.

I came home from work today only to find my "S" bubbler filled with cider. :D

I was concerned about fermenting too low yesterday and sent off an email to Lesaffery Yeast Corp (Montrachet yeast mfg'r.)

Here is their reply; (I was at 57'f, now at 59'F)

Montrachet is a robust yeast and works best between 59-86 F. You are a few
degrees low, but this will just slow the fermentation down a bit. In my
home fruit wine making, I usually try to stay between 65-75F. Some fruit
based wine makers actually prefer lower fermentation temperatures because
it helps retain volatile fruit flavors and aromas. Most of our wine yeasts
will perform at the temperatures in your basement, just more slowly. The
exception is our Cote des Blancs strain. This strain is recommended for
fruit based wines and apple ciders because of its own contribution to the
fruit aromas of the wine. This strain is temperature sensitive and will
not ferment below about 55 F.​

I replied today asking for a recommendation on carbonating naturally. I'll share tomorrow.

Ed - You created a monster!!!

I know I've said this before. . . but mine still looks like watered down pus.

I'm afraid to try it.

Ok, I'm going to stop whining about it and I'm going to go do it right now.

I'll post results (if I'm still alive afterwards)

Ok, just pulled a sample. . .

FG 1.000

Very dry, just a hint of apple--actually tastes more melony, white-wine like. Very little mouthfeel or body--quite watery.

Overall, its pretty freakin good. :D :drunk:

I still think it could benefit from some aging.

Need to put in some finings tonight or tomorrow (still haven't done that yet).

Wow. this stuff packs a punch. . .

I was going to make an analogy involving indiginous peoples, firewater and being trapped on a reservation on Saturday night, but I didn't think it was politically expedient. :drunk:

Hi guys, this is my first post :D I'm just getting ready to brew some apfelwein right now! :D but, I was hoping y'all could help me out with a question?

(I am from Australia, so bear with me)

I am using your recipy for 22.5 litres of apfelwein (5galons) using a 25litre demijhon (5.5galons)(I think its like a carboy) but its not the same shape as all of your guys. Instead of being a cylinder shaped carboy, mine is more of a globe shape?

http://www.creativecookware.com/images/demijohn.jpg

thats a link to what mine looks like... will this still work? cheers

PS still gona give it a shot! :)

A demijohn with a stopper and an airlock will be absolutely fine for this.

John

I finally bottled/mason jar-ed mine. I put 5 liters of non-carbonated brew into mason jars, since I was lacking a sufficient number of bottle caps to bottle everythnig.

I had done the following :
* 3 gallons cider, quick boil, cooled, pitched onto yeast cake from spiced pumpkin (really squash) ale
* 5 days later, added another 3 gallons cider + 1.5 lb sugar + 2 lbs honey (quick boil, cooled, added)
* left alone in primary for 5.5 weeks between 60 and 70 F

I eagerly cracked open a liter of the still brew last night and shared it with my girlfriend. I'd say that it still has a pretty great nose of baked apples and fresh green apples, but it doesn't appear to have picked up any particularly interesting spices from the Squash Ale (which is a nice ale). The brew is quite dry, and rather like white wine to the taste. I was surprised that it seemed so unremarkable taste-wise when it smells so good. I also thought that it tasted pretty alcoholic (no idea about the ABV due to the split introduction of fermentatbles), but after consuming a good 750ml, I didn't feel especially drunk. Perhaps that had to do with dinner and drinking it slowly. I'm going to check a bottle of the carbonated stuff this weekend. Then I'm going to let my cider age while I drink the Squash Ale and the Saisson. If it improves, I'll post something.

Could the quick boil have helped to dry out some of the flavor? I would guess from what people have written that is a "no", but I don't know. I'm glad I did boil because every batch of cider meant for drinking without fermentation seemed to spoil in a most gross smelling fashion.

ok guys, so I followed your recipes but I used a juice from my local supermarket.. and I think I am f***ed... I read the ingredients just before and well... have a read...

Dimethyl dicarbonate: Dimethyl dicarbonate innactivates microbes and breaks down after packing within hours to components normailly found in fruit, leaving Juice Stop (juice company) preservative free....

so... my question is... will this Dimethyl Dicarbonate kill my yeast? its been about 3 hours since I pitched the yeast, I didnt rehydrate is, just sprinkled it in and poured about a quart of juice onto the funnel to rinse/mix it all in... and my cider is not cloudy yet... :S please tell me I did not just add my yeast to apple juice containing a yeast killing additive... because then I would be the biggest idiot on these forums lol...

Kadmium said:
so... my question is... will this Dimethyl Dicarbonate kill my yeast?

I am going to go out an a big long limb here and say that there probably wouldn't be enough of the stuff in the liquid to kill the yeast. Total guess though. Does it say the quantities in the juice? What temp is the primary at?

James.

kouphax said:
I am going to go out an a big long limb here and say that there probably wouldn't be enough of the stuff in the liquid to kill the yeast. Total guess though. Does it say the quantities in the juice? What temp is the primary at?

James.

I'd say if they are going to use it, they'll use enough to do the job. i.e. kill anything in there. They question is, is it only effective for a short time after addition or is it still active?

How much have you made? 1 gallon or 5?

Back