Have you ever lost a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I think I may have lost a batch of beer. If so this is the first time it has ever happened. I see people starting threads all the time worrying about whether they will lose a particular batch but I don't remember seeing this exact issue.

So for background: Last last October 5th I bottled a batch of really dark toasty English Brown. I tried a few bottles over the couple months after bottling and it was decent. Not great but decent. Problem was it was really closer to a stout than a brown and whenever I tried it I was always more in the mood for a brown than a stout.

So I kind of pushed the batch off to the side.

Now I can't find it. I have literally lost this batch of beer. :confused: I had to look into my brewing notes to confirm the fact that I actually did brew this batch. There it is. I know I have not had more than 12 of these beers so there is at least a case and a half somewhere in my basement.

So has anyone else lost a batch of beer this way? :(

You've also found some single bottles you have misplaced if I recall...

You have beer fairies and they and they like to f-with you...or maybe they took this batch in tribute for good fermentations. :D

But I hope it's not beer elves, they are evil.

Beer fairies- Hot.

Beerfairy1.jpg

beerfairy2.jpg

Not personally, but when I went down to CA to pick up my brewing gear, there were two cornies tucked in the fermentation cabinet - almost two years old.

Just a month ago, I found a whole case of my first all-grain batch from late 2003. I know Revvy says to give it time and bad beer will improve, but 6 years may be overdoing it a touch. The beer was (and still is) awful.

I have never lost a batch, but I have a few bottles lying around with no labels. They kind of get "lost in the shuffle". I have no clue what they are...and could even be cider. I wait till I'm in the mood for a surprise, then open one up. It's actually quite fun haha

They are all from early batches, I label them all now. So it is no longer an issue

I am obsessing on this now. There are two batches that are missing. One of them was a dumper that had a gallon of iodophor solution in it. It tasted like metal. I never got around to dumping it. The second is the brown I mentioned. Three cases total.

I am sure they are not in the basement. I have looked three times. This means something bad. No joke. I hope I'm wrong but I think I may have been robbed by someone. Someone in particular. WTF?!? there is only one person who can walk in my house while I am not here and not lose a chunk of his body to my dog.

I am not sure whether to even mention this to my wife. She already finds this guy creepy and hates to see him in the house.

I have never lost a batch, but I have a few bottles lying around with no labels. They kind of get "lost in the shuffle". I have no clue what they are...and could even be cider. I wait till I'm in the mood for a surprise, then open one up. It's actually quite fun haha

They are all from early batches, I label them all now. So it is no longer an issue

I have an entire KEG in my beer fridge that is a complete mystery. I must have forgotten to label it when I kegged it, and now I don't remember what it is! The only way to find out is to tap it. Whatever it is, it's next in line.

I made a barley wine and put five bottles away so I could see how they would taste in about six months. I forgot all about those five bottles until over a year later we were cleaning out a closet and low and behold, five well aged bottles of barley wine. Boy were they good. I wish I could do that on purpose.

Last week I was organizing stuff in my pantry and found three different unmarked bottles hidden in nooks and crannies, whose contents are a complete mystery to me.

Yea. Well, not misplaced, but gone. I occasionally take apart the quick disconnects on my beer line to clean. I lost the rubber washer/o ring. I figured if I screwed it back together tight enough it would be fine. Wrong. I just put a keg of my Smoked Porter on the gas to carb. For some reason I decided to put on the tap line. A slow leak over 2 days pushed all but 1 gallon of the beer into the keezer. Pumping out 4 gallons of beer from a freezer is the most depressing thing thats happened to me in a long time.

Back