Gluten Free Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a recipe for a GFB. If anyone has any hints or tips to help in the recipe making, I would appreciate the input.
Heres what I have so far :

8# rice
1.5# corn
1# molasses
0.25oz magnum 14%@60min
0.5oz challenger 7.1%@15min
danstar windsor GFB yeast

I'm thinking it will have a very thin body. Any suggestions on getting a bit of malt flavour in there?

I have a recipe that uses sorghum and toasted buckwheat that turned out better than I expected. I can get you more details if you like when I get home tonight.

I've looked at most of those threads and found that most recipes call for sorghum. I wanted to try something without sorghum or any "specialty GF grains" and make a good tating GFB with ingredients that are readily available where I live (the stix).

I have a recipe that uses sorghum and toasted buckwheat that turned out better than I expected. I can get you more details if you like when I get home tonight.

Thanks, roasted buckwheat sounds interesting, and they should carry buckwheat at the local supermarket.

8# of rice doesn't sound like a very good beer to me. I believe if the grains come in contact the other gluten grains or the equipment they used, then they aren't gluten free anymore, so you should make sure they say gluten free. Some people can't have any gluten at all. I have a recipe in my dropdown if you're interested, but it uses Sorghum extract and some other GF grains. I ordered everything online. Post up what you end up doing.

8# of rice doesn't sound like a very good beer to me. I believe if the grains come in contact the other gluten grains or the equipment they used, then they aren't gluten free anymore, so you should make sure they say gluten free. Some people can't have any gluten at all. I have a recipe in my dropdown if you're interested, but it uses Sorghum extract and some other GF grains. I ordered everything online. Post up what you end up doing.

The person I'm making the beer for isn't allergic to gluten at all, his 4 yr. old son is, so the father made a pact to go on a gluten free diet with his son.
So, the strictness of the handling of the grains isn't a really big deal.
I might have to order some sorghum if I can't come up with any other alternative.

Gotcha. Yea most all GF beers use Sorghum as the base malt, but I'm sure there's some offbeat ones that don't. Most commercial GF beers are kind of bland and boring. Mine had a lot of character, but it was pretty dry and bitter. I want to do another recipe soon. Good luck.

Back