LAck of carbonation after 1 week in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just opened and tried a bottle of my first brew I bottled last week. There was really no carbonation in the brew, although some gas did release when I opened the bottle.

The directions I have say to allow for 3 weeks of conditioning. Does carbonation usually not start until the second or third week?

Thanks,

1 week is too short of a time to expect decent carbonation. Give it at least two weeks.

BTW: what temp are you storing your bottles at? Lower temps = longer times for carbonation.

-walker

You should notice some carbonation after 5 days and when you pour the beer into a glass there shouls be some but not a lot of head. I hope you didn't forget to add corn sugar to the beer before you bottled.

I just cracked one of my hefes today after one week of being in bottle. I heard a defintie gas leak from the bottle, and after pouring there was quite a bit of carbonation. Zero head, and tasted like bananas though......So Ill try it again in a week and a half and see where i am then.

*note to self. When bottling with 22's put a couple in 12oz so you don't waste a whole 22 when you are sampling.

I did add priming sugar when I bottled. My house is typically kept on the cool side (as this is early spring in New England) maybe in the mid-low 60's. I will "sample" another bottle next week.

Thanks guys.

Back