No cold break -- chilling wort to near freezing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I haven't really seen any cold break in any of the beers I've done thus far. My last attempt I chilled the wort to 75° in about 20 minutes. I was wondering if I'm not seeing anything because it's chilling too slowly, or something else.

Also....I found this link (book excerpt) which recommends chilling to near freezing to get the maximum cold break. Does anyone actually do this? It seems like a pretty big hassle to chill that low, then reheat to pitching temps.

The cold break when chilling your wort isn't anywhere near as obvious as the hot break so it isn't really a visible phenomenon at that stage. I do chill my lagers down to 33-34 for a week before fining and then kegging/bottling. You will see it then as the beer gets hazier when it gets cold.

GT

Got trub is correct. you really don't see the cold break happen. you just reap its benefits in the finished beer.

Back