Noob to the cider world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbaker0326

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a new member to the world of cider. I currently have my first batch of cider in the primary. Been fermenting for 8 days now. I'm not getting anymore bubbling, so my question is, how long does one usually keep it in primary? Appreciate all advice! Thanks!

Hey everyone, I'm a new member to the world of cider. I currently have my first batch of cider in the primary. Been fermenting for 8 days now. I'm not getting anymore bubbling, so my question is, how long does one usually keep it in primary? Appreciate all advice! Thanks!

Got a hydrometer? What was the starting gravity? What is the current gravity? A hydrometer is the only true indicator of where you are at in the fermentation process. :tank::mug:

OG was 1.055 and The gravity now is at 1.000. I jut wasn't sure of there was an advantage to keeping it on the yeast for any longer or if I want to rack it as soon as it's done fermenting.

Unless you stir it up generally I think a 1-2 month period for siting on yeast is ok. I tend to wait 5-6 weeks on my ciders, as I have higher alcohol ones and really don't want bottle bombs with young children around.

Back