noob question: keeping wort for starters long term?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a couple flasks of wort set aside for starters I never pitched into, due to extra sparge volumes, and boiled. How viable would these flasks be for starters in, let's just say one month afterwards? Just looking for a reason not to dump, this could come in handy.

I recently started taking my leftover runnings and boiling on the stove for a while. I then cool, and put into 2 litre pop bottles and freeze.

When the time comes to use it, I'll thaw and boil down to get to 1.040 to use in my starter. I haven't actually used any yet but I hope to soon.

One thing I would do differently next time is boil down to 1.040 first, before freezing. Then bring to boil before using just to sterilize it again.

How are you storing your starter wort now? Fridge? Freezer?

I think that wort for yeast starters would be better to be less then 1.040, I read that 1.030 is ideal. So depending on gravity, it might be good to keep it for starters. Otherwise you can always use it as Speise instead of priming sugar (if you bottle/ naturally carb in keg)

Thanks for the quick replies.
I've been storing them in the fridge, its been a few months now. Moving, rehab new house, new baby, you know how distracting life can be. But I'm starting to think viability has decreased too much to waste a vial of yeast. Just wondering for the future.

I'll keep that in mind, using a starter wort to carb. Good thinkin!

Back