Another Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
And thus does another Brewery come out of the ground! Only on day two of the build but will include lots of good stuff including a 4ft by 12ft walk in fermentation / wine storage chamber. Total building is 12x12.

BreweryDayTwo.jpg

Been almost a year (broke a leg just above my ankle building this one...) but progress is moving along - hope to be brewing in it later this year! Pics are time lapsed up to today.

Very nice. Did you have plans or just come up with the building yourself.

No plans - custom to this point. Been a work in progress (tomorrow is the electrical including getting the 4 gallon point of use heater, all outlets, cabinets, counters, etc to mesh). Still have to add lateral bracing to the 4x4 supports just to be sure (they can handle over 100,000 psi of downward force and are buried 24+ inches down with 80 lbs of concrete in each casting into rock solid clay soil but this is one item I do not want to fail on).

When complete the walk in cooler will be set at 52F to ferment lager in the conical 30 gallons at a time. it will also cellar 300-400 bottles of wine and Belgian tastiness along with aging Westy 12 clones in 5 gallon kegs for 18 months a pop.

The remaining area will have cabinets galore (almost 22 linear feet), 2 2ftx2ft deep sinks with a 4 gallon water heater, a built in grain motorized grain mill (monster mill MM3 2.0 hardened with 1hp motor set to 170 rpm), 14 linear feet of countertop space and a 20inch by 20 inch fermentation chamber 3 buckets tall (uncertain on temp control for it as of now but mainly for mid 70's fermentations).

Electrical is four 20 amp circuits. 1 is for the 2 A/C units and the lights including outdoor flood light. 2 are for general purpose and to power the 3000 watt RIMS tube on my Brutus style 25 gallon rig, the last is for the water heater, grain mill and stereo system.

Security is completed by 1 Labrador Retriever (to lead the burglar in close enough) and 2 Doberman Pinschers to neutralize the threat. They enjoy their jobs! <grin>

Beautiful build.

Makes me want to do the same.

I noticed the Off! bug repellant. Glad I live in Colorado; seldom do I need it when working outside.

Keep up the pix!

It rained for 21 days straight here (BIG rain - we are above Seattle YTD in a state that is normally in a drought). There are more flies and mosquitos in my backyard than there are people in Charlotte.

The entire Brewery is wired up (took 246 ft out of a 250 ft roll of 12/2 romex - good stuff!). Insulation is going up slowly but surely - itchy as hell that stuff is.

Great build! I am looking to build a shed here in the next year or so. Most likely not brewing related but I will also need to build on a hill. Got a rough estimate on what the frame/side/roofing set you back thus far?

Been delayed the last few months (diverted $$$ resources to other expenses). It is ready for sheet rock and then cabinet/countertop installation. Hopefully will be complete around Mid Spring. Probably have around $4000 in it thus far with another $2000 to go. Siding alone was almost $1000 including gutters. It all adds up quick!

I've also added double bolted lateral bracing in four areas on the "legs" just to be safe. The 4x4s are 24-30 inches down into bulldozer packed clay (had to use a 4ft pry bar to chip it away as I dug). Each hole is filled with 80 pounds of concrete. This brewhaus isn't gonna move on me... Just need to ensure the 4x4s don't get dirt and moisture covered and rot - that is the weekness of the design even though they are pressure treated.

Awesome thanks! My county has a really excellent document detailing what you need for foooters, beams etc for decks. Unfortunately building a shed on the side of a hill basically requires me to get decking permits for this purpose :( Oh well! Thanks a lot for this info and the build thread. I never knew siding was so expensive! I guess its more expensive than T-111? But painting frequently would increase the cost/time that route.

Back