Baffled by results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Bottles lager all exactly the same , same time, same batch, same type of bottles exactly same amount of sugar in each bottle, so why do some have excellent gas and head and others and virtually nothing I'm baffled

Did you properly mix your priming sugar? I have had that problem in the past, and it was because it was not properly mixed. Now I add my priming sugar to some water, boil it, cool it, then add to bottling bucket midway through transfer. Since I started doing that, I have had a pretty consistent carbonation.

Bottles lager all exactly the same , same time, same batch, same type of bottles exactly same amount of sugar in each bottle, so why do some have excellent gas and head and others and virtually nothing I'm baffled

This used to happen to me before from time to time - In my case the symptom was that the bottles that got bottled first were super-carbonated, while those after them would be flat(ish). Now I gently stir the beer in the bucket (with a sanitized spoon of course) every 10-12 bottles. So I'd bottle 10, then stir it gently , then another ten and so forth. Never had the problem since I started doing that.

Another thing you wanna make sure is that you cool down your sugar to the temperature of the beer in the bucket (or at least close to). If the sugar solution is too hot and beer relatively cold it may not mix well.

Perhaps it's your bottle capper not completely sealing all of the bottles. Try squeezing a little harder, and see if that fixes the problem.

-a.

Back