Ball valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleute

Reaction score
Just got a new kettle with a ball valve and false bottom. I am not handy so local brew shop built it for me, very reasonably. Racking was my least favorite part of brew day.

Question: So, I need to attach outer tubing to my valve to drain into fermentor. Do you just leave this tubing hanging off of your kettle or do you attach after boil and cooling is complete. Worried about sanitation...

After boiling and sanitation is complete. Unless the tube is silicone it may melt. I typically put my tubing in PBW for a half hour or so and then submerge it in my star san bucket until i'm ready to transfer my wort into my carboy.

if you just have a hose barb (no quick disconnects), i suggest buying a 5 foot piece of silicone hose for it. you wont need a clamp and it will be easy to get on and off, and you can heat sanitize it if you want. its well worth the $15.

Back