Huh, White Labs Cali V

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celticway

Reaction score
So first time using California 5. Brewed my house Pale ( usually pitch Wyeast Am. Ale II). After 8 days, the gravity is only down to 1.030 from 1.057. Still a krausen, still bubbling away in my blow off tube. Controlled temp at 67 degrees.

Anyone else expirience this kind of fermentation from this strain?

No and this is my house yeast...it does awesome all the way up to like 78 degrees...

I would check it again in a day or two

From my understanding the Cali V has more of a fruity flavor in the end. Ferm'd my gruit at 67 and loved the apple flavor it had at bottling. I let mine go for 10 days in the fridge then 3 weeks at room temp. Had proper gravity, but I also used a starter?

WLP051 doesn't give you the monster attenuation that WLP001 and S-05 do and it's a little slower. The difference is definitely the fruitiness at the end vs. 001. I believe that WLP051 is the Anchor yeast although White Labs will only say "Northern California". Try your house pale next to Anchor Liberty Ale and you'll definitely be able to tell they're the same or similar.

Thanks - I think I will do 2 batches of Haus Ale with bothe Cali versions...the yeast experimenting is becoming a fun part of this hobby

Back