Benefits of snow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tippetsnapper

Reaction score
Brings a new meaning to immersion chiller
650588263_photobucket_76514_.jpg

Nice! I used to do that until I learned that the snow will actually insulate the kettle...always wondered why it took so long in the snow! It will cool the metal but then serve to insulate the wort. Makes great fun and good pics, though!

Actually hoping your Steelers win today! J-E-T-S $UCK $UCK $UCK!

Actually hoping your Steelers win today! J-E-T-S $UCK $UCK $UCK!

Sorry for taking this off topic but I just heard a news flash. I heard that due to the recent loss to the Jets that the Pats have decided to withdraw from the NFL and participate in the Lingerie Football League. Kraft has fired coach Bill Belichick and hired Ru Paul as Head Coach. Tom Brady has been quoted as saying, " I am so happy now. I can wear a garter belt and wear my hair as long as I want".

Sorry for taking this off topic but I just heard a news flash. I heard that due to the recent loss to the Jets that the Pats have decided to withdraw from the NFL and participate in the Lingerie Football League. Kraft has fired coach Bill Belichick and hired Ru Paul as Head Coach. Tom Brady has been quoted as saying, " I am so happy now. I can wear a garter belt and wear my hair as long as I want".

!@#$%^&*(...)&^%$#....)*&^%$#......)(*&^%$#....

:mad::mad::mad:

I tried cooling mine in the snow a few weeks ago. Took forevvvver. Got to drunk waiting for it to cool, and my sanitation went down hill. The result is the ****ty porter in my keg.

I tried it last weekend also, I figured I can use the snow for something other than shoveling. Sadly it's true... The snow just acts as great insulator and it took about 5 hours longer than a cold water bath. So it turns out snow is good for nothing.

What i did this last brew was just pack my MLT (cooler) and just recirculated that water through the IC, as it melted i just packed it with more snow. ended up chilling to 50 degrees in 20 min.

I put the kettle in the bathtub, filled with water to top of wort, and brought in shovel-loads of snow in..

chilled that bish down in 20 minutes... of course it was only 2.5 gallons..

Maybe the snow does act like an igloo insulating the wort, but this particular occasion took me from the boil to 70 F in 18 minutes, below 110 in 5 mins, but maybe that's due to the water supply temps which I didn't measure.

Were you also running water through it? I do that with a pre chiller in the snow and can get a boil down under 70 in about 15 minutes, 6 gallon boils.

I did bury the incoming water line to the chiller, but that was only about 6 feet. I was also left with 6 gallons post boil.

Last 2 batches I used the snow and my temps plummet. I just keep packing the snow tight around pot, continually stir the pot, move the pot 5-6 times. Works good for me, and saves me from buying ice

Snow is a good insulator, so the key to using it to cool your wort off is to add just enough snow and just enough water to make a really watery slush. As it warms a little drain some water and add some snow.

Ok, I am a die hard Pats fan, but this was just plain funny!

p.s. - very risky to post, living so close to Mass. We do have a few nut jobs out there who can be dangerous

Ok, I am a die hard Pats fan, but this was just plain funny!

p.s. - very risky to post, living so close to Mass. We do have a few nut jobs out there who can be dangerous

:off:

I'm die hard PATS fan too and I was trying to keep quiet, but after the Steelers game, I'm pretty sure we'll see the JET LAGS in the LFL with us next year. I hear they'll be in the same division. Can't wait to see Tom Bieber and Dirty Sanchez in garters (or not)!

Of note, I burned my divisional PATS/JET LAGS towel and two tickets immediately after the Steelers win. Two AFC Champ losses. Baahh!!! See ya next year and go PACK!!! :D

Back