Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this ! Dont have Beersmith Used 5 lbs of Amber 1 lbs of Wheat both DME .Steeped grains @156 Degrees .75 Caramel/crystal 60 L .75 Chocolate 350 srm).50 Roasted barley (300 srm).50 Lbs.Lactose at 10 min .3/4 oz of Yakima Magnum .Did use whirlfloc.Only reason didnt follow this recipe is cause had this Dme and Yaks already wasnt goin to LHBS for 1/2 of Wheat or try to get German.Anyway could some1 tell me what my og and fg might come out since I no The extra 1/2LBS Amber DME will change it!Would def. appreciate it Thanks ,Rdatsun BTW Its sitting in tub on ice ! Will post how turns out thanks.Wondering if shoulda cut back on roasted Barley

A bit difficult to read because of the sentence structure, but it appears the only thing you changed was increasing the amber by 1/2 lb and decreasing the wheat by 1/2 lb. The OG and FG will be the same as the OP's.

I am almost done brewing this today, just waiting for it to cool off. I used my 5 gallon beverage cooler for the first time to do a PM and it was kind of a nightmare to get the right temp. And in the end I'm not even sure what temp I actually was at, three different thermometers showing 3 different temps, 148 150 and 163. I hope it was somewhere in the middle there. The two low temps were glass therms and the high temp was my instant read digital. I think i'm going to get a new digital instant read, one of the ones I've seen recommended by people here. Otherwise using the cooler was pretty awesome compared to trying to maintain temp in my bottling bucket.

Here's my latest pint off the keg of this. After the head subsides to this nice layer it really sticks around the whole time. Very good beer. I'll be making this again soon!

-1.jpg

OT

I have sad, sad news. I had to dump mine. Every last one of the remaining ones, out of fear for safety...

Note to self ( and reminder to others ) - if in the course of brewing you end up with 4 gallons of beer because you were obsessing over keeping all sediment out, don't forget to recalculate your priming sugar / DME.

Taste - SUPER. Nearly explosive concoction of CO2 from over carbing - hilarious, but not so super. I could take the utmost care in a light, gentle pour, and the action of drinking agitated the brew enough to make a head form think and stiff enough to set the bottle cap on. While a neat trick, I was scared that I was facing over primed bottle bombs.

But fear not - have the goods for another batch on hand - and Saturday is looking like a good day to brew .....

Just bottled up 5 gal tonight! OG 1.065 FG 1.020. These numbers are a bit high due to the lactose, but not by much. Smelled awesome. I have a sample in the fridge chilling.

Will report back after a few weeks in the bottle.

Bottled up 5gal today too. Hydro sample tasted incredible. Used an extra half pint in a batch of homemade ice cream. Lord have mercy.

This recipe sounds so delicious! So I have just bought the ingredients to make the extract version (This will be my first stout!!!). The only thing I haven't bought is the yeast, as the shop only had a very limited selection. I already have the Danstar Nottingham, and wyeast London Ale III™ 1318, so which would you suggest?

So has anyone tried brewing an AG batch of this? I scoured over the posts awfully quick and might have missed it? Just bought the grain today, gonna' brew it up this weekend.

I'll be kegging the AG version this coming weekend. It's been in the primary since September 26. Subbed WLP011, and was actually a bit high on OG due to better efficiency than I was expecting...

The mash & boil smelled fantastic, the pre-boil gravity sample tasted really good (albeit REALLY sweet, the OG sample tasted really good.

I've been jonesin' something fierce to finish this one up... I'm sure it'll be great!

Amendment to my previous post: I took a gravity reading just now to make sure she's done doing her thing when I keg it this weekend. (Read: I was curious about the gravity, but really I wanted to taste the sample...)

SG: 1.062 (rounded up to 7# of 2-row as noted and got better efficiency than I expected)
FG: 1.020

Taste?? Well, taking into consideration that I'm a newb and it's uncarbed @ 68deg, all I can say is "damn!!" very VERY good. Nice subtle roasty aroma when you get your nose down into the glass. Very smooth up front w/ a nice carmel-chocolate then finishes with the roast coffee flavor & associated mild bitterness. I'm getting just a touch of alcohol bite/warmth at the finish too. I think with a bit more age it will subside, but it's actually kinda nice where it is.

NCBeernut - THANK YOU for this recipe!!! I'll definitely be brewing this one again!!!

Hmmm..my LHBS just stocked up on a ton of NZ hops. I was going to substitute the Magnums for NZ Green Bullets (13.8%aa). I'd just really like to support the Kiwi crop...although I've never worked with them before. The LHBS guy told me they're a good dual-purpose hop, so they should work okay for the bittering addition.

Just picked up the ingredients to brew the extract version this weekend. I ended up getting Wyeast 1028.

Really looking forward to this stout!

I ordered the AG ingredients last night, AHB had the Denny's in stock so I went ahead and went with that. Will be trying this as a stovetop BIAB

Oh, forgot to ask. How does this compare to Left Hand Milk Stout? Only Milk stout I've ever drank...and I love it!

So what about the Irish moss? Is it really necessary in a stout?

Not in my opinion. It is used to clarify a beer, but this beer is as black as one can get and zero light penetrates it... so there is really no point in irish moss or whirlfloc.

Okay folks, need some advice/opinions. I brewed this about a month ago. It bubbled away beautifully for a few days, then quit as normal. The problem is that the SG is 1.022. Brewtarget estimates the recipe at 1.014. I did have trouble maintaining the mash temp (all grain stove-top method). Will I have bottle bombs? I gave it a swirl about a week ago and the gravity didn't drop at all. Should I stir it up with a long stick or something or is the high gravity a matter of the mash temp issues?

Thanks

just finished brewing this up. I was smoking a pork butt and a chuck roast while this was being brewed. My garage smelled awesome!

I tasted this before I added the hops....this is going to be a fantastic beer. I'll have trouble waiting for this one!

Thanks.

I'm really glad everyone is still enjoying this! I feel obligated to answer questions, even though yall seem to do a great job getting my back on this thread:

Whirfloc is not necessary, but I still add it to increase beer stability.

1.022 is normal. You will get low attenuation because lactose is not fermentable.

Left Hand Milk stout has more lactose flavor. If you want something closer to that, increasing the lactose to a full pound might get you there - just realize that it will really be sweet.

Cheers!

First, this tastes really great! To me it's best when it's warmed up a bit from the fridge, and the underlying flavors come out.

However, my first batch has absolutely NO head to it. It's carbed fine, but won't pour with a head on it.

First, this tastes really great! To me it's best when it's warmed up a bit from the fridge, and the underlying flavors come out.

However, my first batch has absolutely NO head to it. It's carbed fine, but won't pour with a head on it.

Any chance there are any oils in your brewing system?

Any chance there are any oils in your brewing system?

I suppose there's always a chance, but thinking over my cleansing and sanitation steps, I don't think the probability it that high. I'll be sure to keep a keener eye out for something like that next time though. I've not had a problem with head retention on any other brews. I haven't noticed any oils forming over the top either.

Still tastes good though, just the presentation is lacking.
:mug:

I really don't have a good answer for you. This recipe seems to give pretty good head :rockin:, so I don't know what it could be. If the lactose was incorrectly packaged (ie not lactose), you would probably would have tasted it.

Whew! Just made it through all 28 pages and I think this is going to be my 2nd(ish) attempt at brewing some beer and this is my first post. I saw this recipe this morning and bought the ingredients at my LHBS during my lunch break. I decided to add .5 lbs of oats and only going to go 4 oz of the Lactose so wish me luck!! My first brewing attempt was Graff's cider/beer which is on its 2nd week in primary. Cheers everyone!

Just brewed this as my 2nd AG BIAB brew. Hit my OG spot on. Followed the recipe exactly using Dennys as well. Now the wait begins...I think it will be homebrewers that first invent the time machine, the motivations there.

medically induced coma might do the same thing, less expensive than the plutonium needed to power your flux capacitor too.

So, I brewed a half batch of this up. 4 week fermentation and 1 week secondary, as I do with all my beers now. To the secondary I added 4 oz of caramel coffee syrup and 1oz on chocolate extract, as I have a penchant for adding extracts and syrups to my "off-centered" brews. After a week on gas, this beer is something special.

It takes the idea of a great milk stout, without too much of the lactose sweetness, and raises it to a new level. Roasty and smooth, yet with a nice caramel depth, this just earned a place in my rotation. Btw, I agree that it is much better when allowed to sit and warm up a little.

Latest posts

Back