What's Your Heat Source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to start going AG :ban:
Finally have a large enough brew kettle and just finished making my MLT. 60Qt Igloo Ice Cube Cooler.

Manifold:
Manifold.jpg

Inside MLT:
InsideMLT.jpg

I'm only doing 5 gal batches but I'm not sure if my gas stove top (which I do my extract batches on) will be up to the task of boiling 5+ gallons. I do have a turkey fryer and could use that. But being as cold as it is outside, I don't know if I want to combat that variable while trying to make the switch.

Does anyone use a a gas stove top for boiling 5 gallon batches?

I use an electric coil stove for 5 + gallons. It takes a little longer, but works fine. I imagine the gas has to be more efficient.

It is worth mentioning that the weight of one batch broke the coil supports, but it kept heating.

I have an electric stove too (mostly used for powder coating) but it's in the basement and I really don't like all the moisture down there. Plus the open rafters with spider webs & junk.

Might have to try a practice boil. Does anyone use a gas stove top with no problems?

I used my gas kitchen stove on 5gals before swmbo kicked me outside. It works, it just took an hour or so to get it to a good rolling boil.

I have a gas stovetop that I use to bring my mash and sparge waters up to temperature. The volumes on those are not as much as the boil, so I do that indoors (especially in the winter). For the full boil, I use the turkey fryer outside. I can barely get the 5 gallons to a boil on the stovetop, even straddling the BK across two burners.

I am using (2) 4500W heating elements submerged in the wort.

Banjo burner and 2kw heatstick.

If I ever get off my lazy butt and finish it, I will be using two 2kw heatsticks.

(Though, I did break down and build the other GFCI extension cord Sunday)

:eek:

What kind of circuit are you running those through? How long does it take to boil?

50A GFCI breaker.

It will boil 13 gallons from 60F in 34 minutes / 7 gallons in 18 minutes

From sparge temps, 13 gallons in 9 minutes / 7 gallons in 5 minutes

AH HA!

So the new one is ready for the bigger batches eh?
(or did you already tell us that?)

I could boil 3.5 gallons in 2.5 minutes too...

Maybe it is for little batches? It is known that I have some new 15gal. Blichmans

Latest posts

Back