Trader Joes Vintage Ale 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea2summit3

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Trader Joes Vintage Ale? Its described as a Dark Ale on lees, which I've discovered is a fancy way of saying bottle conditioned, no? Would anyone recommend it? How have the previous year's "vintage" aged?

No, but I've had good luck with just about all TJ products. Since I'm headed up there tomorrow, maybe I'll grab a few for the party.

I was going to try one and then buy a few extras for aging if I like it. Its five bucks a pop (big bottle), not a bad price if its good beer...

I also picked one up last night while the wife was picking up some wine. Last years was very good for $5. If this one is good, as it should be, i'll be going back to grab a few more to age.

Picked up 4 bottles. Wife loves it - I guess I'm just not a fan of belgians no matter how much I try.

I will say though that the beer certainly doesn't present itself as a 9%er

I just drank a bottle last night and loved it! I'm not very good at distinguishing flavor, but it reminded me of a Belgian beer. Am I right in saying I tasted a lot of esters? I didn't really get a hint of coco as the label mention. I liked enough to get four more bottles for aging!

Does any one have any idea how this beer is made (ingredients, mash schedule, fermentation temp)?

I just had one and my wife is heading out to buy 6 more for me. It didn't occur to me to age them. Maybe I'll tuck 3 or 4 of them away for next year!

I bought one a couple weeks back. I've had it in the past and enjoyed it. However, this one was TERRIBLE. I suspect I got a bad bottle of the stuff, because I can't see anyone wanting to drink something that tasted like that!!

If you had one unibroue beer, you've had them all. Well, not really at all, but their yeast character is pretty consistent among all their beers I've had. Anyone know what strain they use?

If you had one unibroue beer, you've had them all. Well, not really at all, but their yeast character is pretty consistent among all their beers I've had. Anyone know what strain they use?

The Unibroue strain is a seasonal release called Belgian/Canadian.

I bought one a couple weeks back. I've had it in the past and enjoyed it. However, this one was TERRIBLE. I suspect I got a bad bottle of the stuff, because I can't see anyone wanting to drink something that tasted like that!!

I had one, too, that I thought was awful. There's a lot going on in this beer, but none of the flavors & aromas seem to belong together. I thought it was one of the worst beers I tasted in 2009.

I just recently grabbed a bottle of this and thought it was decent. With the $4.99 price I couldn't help myself from going back and grabbing 2 more. I'm going to age one for at least 6 months and see how it is. May go for a year depending on how patient I am. Like others have said, it's quite similar to others in the Unibroue line. I'm get mostly a fig, raisin, and hint of chocolate. Seems kind of like a mix of the Maudite and La Fin du Monde.

I 'm not sure TJ's knows how to handle beer.
It sits on a warm shelf for God Knows how long.
It get's moved when the Plan-o-gram says to move it, and there is really no motivation for them to sell it.

I've had both good and bad bottles of beer from TJ's.

Considering it's 1/2 the price of Unibroue products at the Bevmo across the street, I'll usually gamble.

If it sucks, it becomes BBQ sauce.

It's made by Unibrou. Expect it to be similar to Maudite, La Fin du Monde, Trois Pistoles, etc. I picked one up today along with some 3 buck chuck and I'm eager to try it.

I figured that was who made it, it DOES NOT taste like Trois Pistoles. I have never had the other 2 brew so i cant speak about that, but i can say it was damn tasty

Just had myself another one of these last night.... And after some thought, its not that great of a beer.... I like it, but it is very busy when it comes to flavors. There is something in there that makes it a very spicy flavor and that overwhelms everything else.

Anyone got ideas of what that is?

Cheers

Just had myself another one of these last night.... And after some thought, its not that great of a beer.... I like it, but it is very busy when it comes to flavors. There is something in there that makes it a very spicy flavor and that overwhelms everything else.

Anyone got ideas of what that is?

Cheers

Unibroue's yeast

It says right on the back of the bottle that there are hints of lemon and lime, which I found really prevalent in this beer. Just seemed really tart at the finish which definitely did not agree with me. Its for sure a Unibrou brew, that yeast shines right through their whole line. I bought a few bottles though, I think after a year this one may be really nice, all those flavors that are somewhat amelodic right now, might come together nicely.

I thought it was fantastic. A friend of ours bought it last year at Christmas and opened it a few weekends ago on our annual camping trip. One of the better beers I've had all year! I'm looking forward to this year's recipe.

Latest posts

Back