Visiting Ithaca Beer - Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I am taking my son back to Cornell and wanted to visit the Ithaca Beer Co.

Never been there - Any suggestions of what growlers to bring back to VT ? Do they serve lunch ?

Thanks ahead of time...

Your son's a Cornellian? Dare I ask what school and class?

Unfortunately I never managed to have any IBC beer while I was there -- wasn't really a beer drinker until later :( But if it were me I'd probably check out the CascaZilla and the Flower Power, and maybe the Pale.

I dont remember there being any food there. The cascazilla is fantastic, and although the flower power is a good IPA, the PA is very balanced with great hops bitterness. They havea sampling fee that will allow you to try 5 or 6, so...you be the judge. Enjoy! If you have the time, Watkins Glen isnt too far from there, Wildflower Cafe is the site of Roosterfish Brewery, who have a nice selection as well

Just went to the web site => Nice selection, and looks like a brewery tour on Saturday. Maybe meet the brewer..

To the Cornellian from TN - son is a second year Law student. I did 2 years at Ithaca College before transferring to Trinity. Watkins Glen is amazing - recall doing all those steps to the top. Some beautiful parks.

I think if we ever got tired of VT, we would move to Ithaca, NY.

I will let you all know what I find..will def try the CascaZilla and the Flower Power. Will add to my growing growler collection.

Had a sour once - I am game for twice (smile) .. I have read abt the Brute..will have to try.

I had some CascaZilla at a beer fest about two weeks back. It was one of the best beers there. I've since picked up a six pack of it.

Forgot to mention that Old Habit and Flower Power are both awesome too. Got too excited thinking of Brute.

Holla to all the Cornell Alumni brewers 'round the world. I started out in this hobby making dorm room hootch with apple cider I smuggled out of the the Northstar dining hall.

I'm pretty sure they don't make it anymore, but the IPAbbey, belgian ipa, was one of the tastiest beers I've had the pleasure of having. I haven't been back in a few years, but I hear they have done some huge expansions. I wrote a paper on their business sophmore year and they were stoked about finally getting their beer into the Albany market... now they are all over New England and the mid-Atlantic.

I picked up a growler of the Flower Power from the local beverage center and it was excellent. That one is worth a shot... I've heard nothing but good things about the rest of their lineup too. Sounds like a fun trip.

son is a second year Law student.

Heh. EVERYONE at Cornell had more ambition than me.

I'm a 2003 Engineering grad. Amazing school, just wish I had taken more advantage of some of the opportunities I had.

Now you've just given me an excuse to go back and visit :D

If your wallet is not empty, check out a restaurant called the Heights Cafe & Grill if you haven't already. You'll be glad you did. Also, ask for James and tell him a former employee of his sent you (I used to wash his dishes and support his backoffice computer network), tell him how much you like the food and he may bring you a free dessert.

Only reason I wouldn't live there are the scary icy winters and blistering hot summers, though I suppose this time around I could afford A/C.

"Only reason I wouldn't live there are the scary icy winters and blistering hot summers, though I suppose this time around I could afford A/C."

Oh, that's what was so fun about it. I have very fond memories of grabbing a growler of Partly Sunny Hef from IBC, some oranges, and then racing back out of the bright sun and into the jet black clouds coming off the lake. Then, I'd sit on my porch and watch the afternoon thunderstorm roll in. I'd do this almost every day. Plus, temperature swings from -30 to 50 degrees in 36 hours give you the constitution of an ox.

Just returned ...will post pic of my ugly mug with Ithaca Brewing sign..

I was so impressed with Cornell. The Law school seems like a set from Harry Potter. The view of the lake from the top of the art gallery is simply breathtaking.

Ithaca Beer - Many tasters there...very friendly staff and servers..decided to try some..very impressed with flower power (I am drinking that now, back home in VT, as I type away. Also got growler of CascaZilla (which was not as aggressively hoppy as I had expected...asked for IBU, they said 70). A clear alcoholic finish.

I could have stayed there all afternoon, but then my son and I would have had to stay in Ithaca for the night, and we both wanted to get back to VT.

They had sold out of the Brute. I stupidly asked if they raise their own Brettanomyces for the Brute. No, we don't. (DUH!)

2 growlers + assorted hats, glasses etc and we escaped under $60. I am no beer expert, but this really is extraordinary tasting beer. I recommend Ithaca Beer to anyone visiting the finger lakes.

Flower Power is BACK

Man, this thread has made me really nostalgic about my college days. Nothing like walking up through a gorge beside 150 foot waterfall to get to class.

They were just getting started when I graduated - but now they've got some good varieties. +1 on the Flower Power and the CascaZilla.

They used to sell homebrew supplies and kits as well. Not sure if they still do.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

They still sell homebrewing kits (True Brew)

Sled Dog from Wagner was the only brew I liked by them. I thought the rest were sub-par. Maybe I visited on a bad day. The server didn't know anything about the beers he was serving us.

Oh yeah, forgot. Ithaca makes great beer. I visited there two weeks ago and got a growler of the Nut Brown to go.

Give my regards to Davy....

BS in Animal Science, graduated in 97. At that time, IBC was just starting out....I think they had a couple of different brews in bottles and on draft at the Chapter House.

A fraternity brother also worked with them briefly doing "marketing"...we were never sure what he was doing exactly...obviously working for free beer though!

+1/2/3 to Cascazilla....awesome brew!

Good to see so many Cornellians on HBT.

Just returned ...will post pic of my ugly mug with Ithaca Brewing sign..

I was so impressed with Cornell. The Law school seems like a set from Harry Potter. The view of the lake from the top of the art gallery is simply breathtaking.

Ithaca Beer - Many tasters there...very friendly staff and servers..decided to try some..very impressed with flower power (I am drinking that now, back home in VT, as I type away. Also got growler of CascaZilla (which was not as aggressively hoppy as I had expected...asked for IBU, they said 70). A clear alcoholic finish.

I could have stayed there all afternoon, but then my son and I would have had to stay in Ithaca for the night, and we both wanted to get back to VT.

They had sold out of the Brute. I stupidly asked if they raise their own Brettanomyces for the Brute. No, we don't. (DUH!)

2 growlers + assorted hats, glasses etc and we escaped under $60. I am no beer expert, but this really is extraordinary tasting beer. I recommend Ithaca Beer to anyone visiting the finger lakes.

Flower Power is BACK

Next time you go back to Ithaca....be sure to check out some of the finger lakes wine trails. Better yet...go back in the fall when the leaves change...I can't think of anything better than an afternoon drive, doing some leaf-peeping and tasting some wine. Maybe if there were such thing as a beer trails..

...ah, I miss Ithaca...:(

If we weren't so spread out I'd suggest a Cornell Alum HBT meetup! But then I'm terrible at planning things.

I miss Ithaca sometimes too...amazing how many folks here are posting about it in this thread! I left there in 1996 when my wife graduated from the vet school and really should go back someday...

I got to try some of the IBC beers this summer....very nice, esp. Cascazilla. And I just saw on their website that they are distributed in Ohio, now....very very nice! :mug:

I got my first homebrewing kit from IBC. I was 21 at the time, but the woman working the counter carded me and then before I could produce my ID said something like "Sorry, I don't know why I asked. You don't have to be 21 to buy buckets and barley."

Back