Cheese Cloth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahuaro

Reaction score
I bought some cheese cloth at a store today and its apparent use is for wiping and polishing cars. It was dirt cheap and its intened use is for steeping grains or hops pellets. It appears to have no clear differences from the small ones I get for LHBS, but after I got it home I realized that on the back it states "Not Recommended for Culinary Use". Should I be worried and has anbody had any experience with this?

I don't really want to ruin a batch of beer because of some chemically laced chessecloth.

it may be labeled that way because they bleached the fabric with non-food safe chemicals.

i dunno. others will probably chime in though.

Where did you get it from?

The original use of cheesecloth was to make cheese, which is a pretty cut and dried culinary use.

Seems odd... does the packaging indicate anything else?

"Real" cheese cloth is meant for food grade applications. This may be some cheap knock off. I wouldn't use it in a rolling boil though (never have tried)

Label says Knitted Cheese Cloth: clear coat safe, super soft knitted cloth, perfect for polishing waxing and buffing

At the time i seen it just seemed perfect cheap solution to buying new bags from LHBS everytime I picked up ingredients for next batch.

I'm relitively new to brewing, but why not use a reusable nylon bag? That's what I use...it there a reason one is better than the other?

this seemed like a relatively cheap solution. I can get approx. 50 bags for $2 and they require no rinsing cleaning. just toss and go!

I'm relitively new to brewing, but why not use a reusable nylon bag? That's what I use...it there a reason one is better than the other?

You can throw away the cheesecloth. That's the only reason, really.

The nylon needs to be cleaned, and there is enough cleaning in this hobby, methinks!

S

Sounds like corporate CYA to me. As was stated earlier, cheesecloth has been used for centuries in the making of cheese.

My wife has a hair straightener that says in big bold letters on the cord In Canada: Not for household use. Apparently Canadians are meant to straighten their hair outdoors. We called the company, and they basically told us that to get the product rated for safe use in Canada would have cost more money than they expected to gain from the Canadian demographic, so they didn't bother. It's still 100% safe, even if you cross an imaginary line drawn arbitrarily on a map, they just had to apply good 'ol CYA.

Back