Big major question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i'm on my like 4 or 5th batch now... my GF drank some of my brews, no big deal. But she didn't wash out my bottles and just put them into the storage bin. Now there's mold in the bottem of some of them.

Should I:
A) throw them away?
b) clean the crap out of them w/ bleach and just use them?

Thanks guys

nick

it'as no big deal. I dont think I hae bought a single empty bottle yet from the beer depot that ddnt have mold in it. Just wash them out real good (Oxyclean works great), let them air dry, and then rewash and sanatize b4 next time you use them.

Soak them on hot water. Partialy empty them and shake the crap out of them to dislodge the funk. Then save for later.

i would just toss em...but then again i have like 10 cases of bottles...

a bottle brush and a soak in bleach will clean anything up...

I put my bottle brush into my cordless drill. A little bit of dish soap helps loosen the crud in my dumpster bottles. Then rinse, and soak in bleach for several days whil brew finishs in secondary.

On those rare occasions that I bottle, I just gather bottles from the garage & back porch, shake out the bugs and fill them with ammonia floor cleaner solution. Next day, I dump them and run the bottles through the dishwasher.

I don't believe there is anything alive (or was alive) that can't be washed off of glass.

Thanks guys for your help!!! Going to soak them over night in bleach. Just finished washing everything.

Now my second quesiton

My oatmeal stout for St. Pats day needed to be bottled like 2 weeks ago and i've been so busy that tomorrow i'm going to be bottling it.

Do you guys think that there is enough time for it to prime in the bottle by March 17? Or should i just drop a cash and get a kegging system and do this as my first batch keg'd??

autoferret said:
My oatmeal stout for St. Pats day needed to be bottled like 2 weeks ago and i've been so busy that tomorrow i'm going to be bottling it.

Do you guys think that there is enough time for it to prime in the bottle by March 17? Or should i just drop a cash and get a kegging system and do this as my first batch keg'd??

Drop the benjamins on a kegging system. You know you want to.

What could be better than drinking your own Irish stout off your own draft set-up?

:rockin:

yea i know... just have never keg'd before and dont want to mess it up

Kegging is like bottleing except that you only have one large bottle to sanitize and fill :rockin: and you can carbonate w/o yeast :ban:

Picked up a fridge today... 50 bucks but i got like 70 dollars in beer and liqure w/ it... so now i just need to get the system!!!

Kegging is pretty easy, really, and there are a number of "quick carb" methods that will work. BUT - you still have time to bottle condition if done correctly. Bottle as you normally would but make sure that wherever you store your bottles, that the temp is at least a constant 70 degrees, or even a tad higher. Gently invert your bottles a couple of times the first two days to ensure the sugar and yeast are well mixed, then let it sit and do its thing. In most cases, an ale-yeast based bottle will be carbed up in about 5-7 days if you follow those rules.

Cheers!
John.

Back