Brew day Blueberry Pom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
I found some 100 percent juice Old Orchard brand. Reading the label however it is not all blueberry or pomegranate either. It is mixed with grape apple and pear aronia (filtered water, fruit juice concentrates). I guess that is better than 20 percent juice and 80 water.

9 half gallons of blueberry pomegranate 100 percent
1 half gallon 100 percent grape
4 pounds sugar
3tsp nutrient
3tsp energizer
1 tsp tannin
1118 yeast
1080 starting sg

It should finish out around 10.5 percent.

Mike

So what would this be akin to commercially? A wine cooler? I attempted a "hard lemonade" with a similar recipe, but with lemonade concentrate. Mine turned out more like a sour moonshine!

Well I hope it has a berry taste that is not to sour and not to sweet. I want it to ferment dry and hope it is as Sara said delicious. I won't be worried about moonshine taste with a 1080 to start out. Mike

501irishred said:
So what would this be akin to commercially? A wine cooler? I attempted a "hard lemonade" with a similar recipe, but with lemonade concentrate. Mine turned out more like a sour moonshine!

The BluePom turns out like a decent table red with fruity bouquet and taste. NICE. Easy, and can typically drink it within six months for sure. Can be left dry or backsweetened to heart's content.
No commercial comparison because I have not seen this combo in liquor stores.

In regard to your hard lemonade sour moonshine....did you ferment to dry, add campden/k-meta plus sorbate, then backsweeten? Not meant to be dry, needs sugar, like 6-8 cups per five gallons, to balance it. A foolproof recipe is at www.skeeterpee.com ... My son and his friends made this as their first attempt three months before his birthday this summer. They followed the directions, asked me not one question...even though I was there each time they worked on it, and I never said one peep..and it was delicious in true SkeeterPee fashion. They transferred it to a five gallon plastic water bottle, attached a press down fill your glass thing, stuck in freezer eight hours before party and it was slushily delicious. Consider trying that.

Skeeterpee my next batch shall be!

Thanks a million. My experience is beer as I'm sure you've picked up on (thanks for being nice about it), and being able to backsweeten never even occurred to me. Killing the yeast at any point has always been something I tried to avoid! :eek:

Back