Starter Question - can you use muntons package yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKHomebrew

Reaction score
Hey,

I am new to using starters, I used the wyyeast propogator and it worked great, I might not have time to get to the store and was wondering if I can use the munton package, I have been using a half gal growler and about 2 cups of light dry extract, like it calls for on the wyyeast package.

I dont see any reason why I cant use the package but i would love some feedback,

:mug:

Don't use starters for dry yeast, they have reserves built up in them artificially to help them when pitched into the wort. Just rehydrate in a cup of boiled and cooled water (around 85-100F) about 15 minutes before you pitch. You may need a bit more than the one package of yeast, but a starter may do more harm than good when it comes to dry, but another package of yeast is cheap.

I would not use standard Muntons yeast unless your wort has a ton of simple sugar. The standard strain struggles with complex sugars and will leave you with a high FG. If you are using Muntons yeast, be sure it is the premium strain. The Muntons website will give you the same advice. Muntons Standard Yeast

What is going on in the rehydration process as opposed to the starter?

The goal of a starter is to build up an adequate number of healthy yeast for proper fermentation. With dry yeast (unless it's very old or mishandled) does not require a starter because the drying process preserves the yeast and there are actually more viable cells in dry versus liquid. In fact, there are enough viable cells in dry that a starter is not typically required.

I should add that the rehydration process just wakes the yeast up so they ferment sooner. Also, it can help prove the viability of the yeast. Check the package directions for rehydration instructions. Some don't need it at all.

Back