Fermentation smell question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkc8099

Reaction score
I am a brand new home brewer and just brewed my first beer yesterday...a Zombie Dust clone. I used a yeast starter and just a few short hours later, my carboy was going nuts...using a 1-inch blowoff tube into a one-gallon jug filled half way with sanitizer/water...lots of foam, etc. This morning the foam was all but gone but there is brown residue throughout the inside of the carboy and the blowoff tube...which I imagine is all good, no? I am fermenting in a chest freezer with a temperature controller. Tonight after work I took a peek inside, put my head down inside the chest freezer and took a big whiff...the smell almost knocked me out and burnt my nostrils! I don't know how to describe it, but it was like a hoppy ammonia smell. Now I'm concerned...but don't know if I need to be. Any help would be appreciated.

:tank:

Your fine, the yeast give off some smells during fermentation. What you smelled was probably the CO2 the yeast is giving off. Let it be and it will turn out great

Great...thank you for the quick responses! I won't be sticking my head in the chest freezer again...splitting headache now.

CO2 is a colorless and odorless gas. You cannot see it or smell it. You are smelling beer fermenting but not CO2 specifically. In fact, the fact that you cannot smell it can make CO2 dangerous in some situations (not beer brewing).

Fermentation by yeast produces all kinds of smelly waste products. No sweat. There just happens to be CO2 from fermentation in there as well. Nothing to worry about.

Check this out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/fermentation-smell-question-72758/

Back