Help! I need to ask the audience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShermanTank

Reaction score
So, for father's day I went and started kegging and built my own keezer. My problem started with over excitement. I know there are few mistakes that cant be corrected so here it goes.

I wanted to naturally carb my kegs and proceeded to add 2.5 oz corn sugar solution (half the bottle amount). Then in my over-excitement, I put the kegs in the new keezer. Now I have 3 batches of sweet beer that needs to get cleaned up. So I figure there are three options:

1. Wait and see if the ale yeast will work at 42 degrees
2. Take them out and let them sit for a few weeks and see if the ale yeast still work.
3. Take them out to warm and repitch yeast to ensure the corn sugar gets fermented.

I'd like to hear some opinions from the group.

BTW
The brew are IPA, Scottish ale and Belgian ale (Golden Dragon):confused:

I understand your excitement, but don't worry, the yeast are resilient and will consume the sugar if you will be patient and bring it all back up to 70F or so, then wait, then chill back to 42 after you have sampled and confirmed carbonation. Maybe agitate the kegs a bit to rouse the yeast.

1. Wait and see if the ale yeast will work at 42 degrees
2. Take them out and let them sit for a few weeks and see if the ale yeast still work.
3. Take them out to warm and repitch yeast to ensure the corn sugar gets fermented.

I'd like to hear some opinions from the group.

BTW
The brew are IPA, Scottish ale and Belgian ale (Golden Dragon):confused:

1. No, the ale yeast won't ferment at 42 degrees.
2. Sure, if you want.
3. No need to repitch- it'll work.

Now, here's what I would do if it was me. 2.5 ounces of corn sugar in 5 gallons isn't much- I can't believe you can taste that in the kegged beer. I'd stick the gas on it at 12 psi and start drinking it in a week. OR, if I was in a huge hurry, I"d put the gas at 30 psi for next 36 hours, purge and reset to 12 psi and start drinking in 48 hours.

The only one I could really taste the sugar in was the Belgian Ale (Golden Dragon) brew. The other two were minimally different. I'm trying to look more like your avatar and less like homer simpson right now, so I think I'll give it a week.

Thanks for the advice.

Back