Stone Ruination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
So after reading many websites for suggestions of a good IIPA, it seemed the Stone Ruination was a good place to start.

My kind SWMBO was kind enough to pick me up a six-pack at the store last night. Had my first bottle and must say I was a little disappointed ... and maybe confused.

It was a hop-bomb for sure (+100IBUs) and quite refreshing, but definitely had a grassy taste to it, which I didnt find too appealing.

Is this typical of these huge IIPAs, or did I maybe get a bum batch?

I loved the bitterness, but the taste and aroma wasn't great. Anyone else experience this?

I had the same problem the first time I tried this. Very bitter not much good taste.

Since everyone raves about it I had told my friends it wasn't that good but I wanted to try it with them again.

Well the second time around it was great. I did not see a date on the bottle but I have to think the the flavor fades with time and I got an old bottle the first time.

I loved it.
Another one I really liked even better is Southern Tier's Oak Aged Unearthly Imperial IPA
3703816413_16e9d84176.jpg

I find Ruination to be very inconsistent, I've had it at times that it is absoulutely amazing and times when it is like drinking grass clippings.

I strongly recommend it. :mug:

I did get this a couple of weeks ago. It was excellent. I chilled it and really felt like the tastes change greatly as it warms.

My bought it and at the time he bought also tasted the Regular Unearthly Ale (no oak). And he liked it better. I haven't tried that one yet though.

Had a friend grab some Stone for me when he went out of state recently. I was also not very impressed. Definitely noticed the grassiness, but I think it was just a side-effect of the massive amounts of hops.

This January grab a Bell's Hopslam. It has blown every IIPA out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

I have a Ruination in the fridge, I will try it out tomorrow (I already had a Union Jack and Pliney just now ;)) Dont want it to interfere with my tastes. I will try to keep an open mind but now "grassy" is stuck in m head. Ill give my $.02 tomorrow.

This is all because Ruination is not a great beer. It's a stunt beer packed with Cascade hops that makes it taste like you're eating a tree. The entire nose is totally one dimensional. Contrast to Hop Stoopid's nose...

I tried it because I wanted to try something super hoppy. It was interesting as a novelty but I have no interest in buying more.

Latest posts

Back