Strong ale recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I want to make a strong pale ale. I was thinking about using 2 of the Coopers Lager kits and 2kg of dextrose, or should I use 3 cans of extract and 1kg of dextrose? What kind of yeast should I use?

Using more dextrose is going to lighten the body, thus making it an easy drinker. I would double up on the kits but use the amount of water for one kit.

I want around 8% ABV and I don't want a really heavy body, that's why I was thinking of using 2X 1.7kg kits and then using 2kg of dextrose.

I have 'aled' the Cooper's Lager Kit once before. For a Belgian it is too hoppy (IMHO). So I'd use 1 can of the pre-hopped Lager and go heavy on the DME (3.5kg or more) and 2 pks of T-58 or S-33 yeast in a 1 ltr starter. It ought to come out like a strong ale.

I have 'aled' the Cooper's Lager Kit once before. For a Belgian it is too hoppy (IMHO). So I'd use 1 can of the pre-hopped Lager and go heavy on the DME (3.5kg or more) and 2 pks of T-58 or S-33 yeast in a 1 ltr starter. It ought to come out like a strong ale.

If I used that much DME, I'm worried that it might be too heavy bodied for my liking. I want the FG to be below 1.020.

Light DME, 2 pks yeast in a starter the night before ought to be good to get it down around to mid teens. That's been my experience.

Belgians are tricky to brew high ABV with a light body. I've done this with 3 lbs Light LME, 7lbs Light DME. Substituting a lb or 2 of rock candy sugar will lighten it more.

Have you got any good recipes for a pale beer around the 8-10% ABV range that involvesdry yeast? I only use extracts and I don't do a boil. Something reasonably light bodied.

sounds like you're try to make a lot of alcohol for real cheap. that's not real beer come on.

unless you are trying to.... D I S T I L L

then I don't even wanna go there,

I don't have the equipment to do a full boil, so I like to keep things simple.

Have you got any good recipes for a pale beer around the 8-10% ABV range that involvesdry yeast? I only use extracts and I don't do a boil. Something reasonably light bodied.

you want a high percentage, only extracts and no boil.

if that doesn't scream out distilling... then I'm crazy

Too bad my dad leant his still out to one of his mates while he's away, I've got to track down that still and start making spirits! Homebrew spirits is the best kind of spirit.

I will not express my view on the subject. I will just say that kind of thing is not allowed on HBT because distilling at home is illegal in most if not all states

Back