First Lager Ferment Going Very Fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying my first lager, a Vienna (Mexican) style with 1.046 OG. Pitched 2 packs rehydrated S-23 yeast at 68F, let it show some activity, then cooled to 54-55F (S-23 site says 53-59F ideal). Had extremely good activity within 12 hours. After 6 days airlock went to nearly nothing, krausen was mostly in, so moved to 67-68F room to do a D-Rest.

Had some uptick in airlock activity which is now slowing. Plan to check gravity in 48hrs. If gravity is good, and taste/smell ok, I would be racking
to secondary for the lager phase in only about 8 days total. I see so many
posts about how lagers need 2-3 weeks to ferment out and clean up. Considering that, after the D-Rest should I put the primary back in the cooler @ 53-54F for a while more before before secondary/lagering, or go on to secondary/lagering after this short time, assuming gravities/taste/smell all good?

I think you may be moving a little too quickly with this brew. :mug:

I ferment my lagers at about 45 or so (depending upon strain) until about 75% complete, then I move to room temp for about 3-4 days for a d-rest. After that, I'll check gravity and rack. If the gravity is good, I'll start the lagering for however long. I like to lager for at least 2 months regardless of strength, and up to 1.5 years for a big brew, all at about 33.

I would do the d-rest before lagering.

Thanks. I am actually in the d-rest now. I probably should have done the primary at the lower temperature, but since the Fermintis site recommended higher I went with that, paranoid about it getting stuck. So much to learn.....

I'm doing my first lagers, and also follows Fermentis S23 recommended temperatures and seeing the same fast fermentation.

Paradingbull, can you comment on how your beer turned out?

I'm doing my first lagers, and also follows Fermentis S23 recommended temperatures and seeing the same fast fermentation.

Paradingbull, can you comment on how your beer turned out?

This beer and a 2nd lager I did with S23 both turned out fine. The second beer also had a speedy fermentation. On the second one I only used one packet of yeast, it still fermented out in a few days. I did D-rests on both, and both were lagered at 33-35F for 5-6 weeks before bottling. Based on my two experiences I say don't worry that it goes fast, your beer will be great.

Thanks for the update Paradingbull. This is encouraging :)

Back