My beer taste kinda like a cleansing solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtx

Reaction score
It's a Texas blonde from AHB. It tastes bitter a bit from the hops but then kinda chemically as well. What could be the problem here? My guesses are I didn't strain it before I put it in the primary (leaving the hops in the primary) or I left it in the primary too long? Experienced brewers I call upon you.

Many brewers don't strain their wort and just dump everything in, hops and all and their beer doesn't taste like cleaning solution. Many brewers leave their beer a minimum of 1 month in primary, and have left their beers in even up to a year and their beers don't taste like that either. Those are pretty common things brewers do.

What do you mean by "cleaning solution?" Does it taste like you didn't rinse the soap out of the gear before using it?

Does it taste like acetone/nail polish? If that's the case it could be from two high a fermentation temp, or from an infection. What was your cleaning sanitation regimen like?

Yeah that's what I was looking for. Like acetone. I had my fermentation temp locked down pretty well. This leads me to believe it was something to do with sanitation. I just usually make a couple of gallons of solution as suggested by my sanitizer (Austin homebrew brand) and soak everything and then rinse it down with hot water and use it. I cant think of a place where it could have gone horribly wrong.

Do you keg or bottle? If you are kegging, it could be your beer line. I'm noticing I need to get some new beer line soon. The line that came with my new 3 faucet tower is leaving a plastic/chemical taste in the first couple of ounces of beer, if it sits in the line long enough. It's very strong if I only pour out two ounces. If I pull a full beer, it's kind of a "What's this off taste"

It could be a multitude of things. I have been reading lately and a lot of people who extract brew have described this same taste in all of their beers. I am going to try to perfect my extract process, and then see if I can still find that taste in my beer. If I can, I may try to move to all grain.

Latest posts

Back