Second Batch Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrodbrad

Reaction score
Well, today I made my second batch. got the grains, the hops, and dme yesterday. I am making a red ale. used the washed yeast from my first batch which was a cream ale. Did not get the sg i wanted at 1.05 on got it at 1.024 so it will have a lower abv (all well) it was fun making it. I checked on it earlier and it is fermenting now. I was not sure if the washed yeast was going to work or not. Having fun doing this, wife does not like the smell of me making.

Have been wondering why my SG was so low and have found out why by searching on the site. I did not mix the wort and top up water and took the sample from the top. According to what all have read that is the main reason of having the lower sg, so My reading should be around the 1.05 like beersmith said instead of the 1.024.
On a second note the fermentation process went like crazy the first 24 hours. Thought I was going to have a blow off, but it did not. Will be racking to the secondary on Friday, and taking a reading then see where it sits.

Sounds great man! Yeah an OG of 1.024 would have been way too low and probably would not have turned out well. With a red ale, I would probably just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottle/keg. Most people (but not all) agree that secondaries should only be used for dry hopping or adding fruit, wood, etc. or if you are going to age the beer for a few months.

Sounds great man! Yeah an OG of 1.024 would have been way too low and probably would not have turned out well. With a red ale, I would probably just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottle/keg. Most people (but not all) agree that secondaries should only be used for dry hopping or adding fruit, wood, etc. or if you are going to age the beer for a few months.

I agree, If you are not adding anything to the ale no need to secondary it.

I only use secondary for long aging, or if yeast harvesting a dry hop beer.

Also unless you have the wrong volume it is almost impossible to miss the SG by very much. Although some variation is expected from different suppliers.

Cool, thanks guys will leave it in the primary and bottle as you suggested.

+1 def leave it for 3 weeks and bottle! Congrats on your second beer! I also agree, 1.024 would be very low, but it seems that you already found your issue! Do your self a favor and learn from most peoples (me included) early mistake of being impatient. Time = good beer! Let those yeasties do their job for a few weeks before you bottle and you will be happy with the result! Brew on brewer!

yep, that is the plan, i plan on leaving it in after your guys input until the 28th which would be the 3 week mark. most surely rookie mistakes, one shall always learn from their mistakes. One reason I like this site, straight and to the point. Plus all the knowledge I get.

As you probably saw in your search, in regard to your gravity - if you are using extract, using the right amount of extract and ending with the right amount of water guarantees the gravity you should get. There is no "efficiency" issue with extract. The only way you can miss is to:
*have a total volume of something other than 5 gallons
*Not use all the extract
*Not mix it thoroughly causing a faulty gravity reading.

Well, today I will be racking the beer into my TAD Bottles and some Glass bottles. One TAD bottle will be Force Carbed, the other will have priming sugar along with the bottles (just a little experiment to see which is better).
on another note. I took my reading the other day and it sat at 1.010, where it should be. I also drank the sample and it was really good:). It did not have that green beer taste to like the beer telling you (condition me and I will taste better). So I know when I condition it, it will even taste better.:D

Back