To all Central Texas fans of Real Ale Brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
Today I wandered into the Gabriel's on Blanco and 1604 in San Antonio. I have been to the one in San Marcos several times, so I expected a decent selection but not a lot of info or expertise. The guy who runs the beer dept. in San Marcos did not even know that Guinness Foreign Extra was coming out!!! As I was perusing the lambics an employee come over to straighten the brews near me. I asked him about their selection of sours (I am trying to learn a little more about this style and many on HBT are being very helpful, check it out here if interested https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/what-your-favorite-commercial-lambic-sour-beer-why-225418/) and much to my surprise this guy was not only extremely knowledgable, he is a homebrewer of 30+ years, used to run a liquor store in Southern California renowned for their beer selection, and has worked in several micros as a consultant/ recipe developer!!!

This gentleman's name is Robert and over the course of the next hour I picked his brain on several brew related subjects. He was happy to talk beer and had great insight on many beers I have not had the opportunity to sample. Hell, they even have Sink the Bismarck! and Tactical Nuclear Penguin at great prices (anyone wanting to pitch in on a bottle to get a sample at a REALLY reasonable price, let me know!)

At one point in the conversation I asked if he had the new Sisyphus Barleywine from Real Ale. He did, at a much better price than other places, and when I told him about the thread on Real Ale giving away second runnings from this years brew (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/free-sisyphus-runnings-real-ale-216127/), he told me he had just tried to contact the brewery to get them involved in a vertical tasting he is planning (whether Real Ale gets involved or not). He has bottles in storage from 2007-2010 that he is not going to mark up for the tasting. I gave him my email and asked to be kept informed. I look forward to many more conversations with Robert and will keep this thread updated on any info I get. I hope others will be as excited as I am to sample 4 years of Sisyphus at a reasonable price.

Cheers :mug:

Update!!!

Spoke with Robert today and he is planning to do the Sisyphus vertical tasting next Friday at the Vineyard Gabriels between 4 and 6.

If you can make it, I'm the big guy with the Spurs cap and the tats (scorpion on my forearm)...say hi :mug:

Update!!!

Spoke with Robert today and he is planning to do the Sisyphus vertical tasting next Friday at the Vineyard Gabriels between 4 and 6.

If you can make it, I'm the big guy with the Spurs cap and the tats (scorpion on my forearm)...say hi :mug:

Where is that? I doubt I can make it, but I would sure love to!

Where is that? I doubt I can make it, but I would sure love to!

It is in San Antonio and we would love to have you! I'm sure you have driven longer than 3 hours for a good beer before.

If you decide to make the trek PM me and I will fill you in on the details. You could also get a taste of Freetail Brewing, voted the best brewpub in Texas by BeerAdvocate...I'll buy ya your first :mug:

It is in San Antonio and we would love to have you! I'm sure you have driven longer than 3 hours for a good beer before.

If you decide to make the trek PM me and I will fill you in on the details. You could also get a taste of Freetail Brewing, voted the best brewpub in Texas by BeerAdvocate...I'll buy ya your first :mug:

I doubt I can make it, but I'll definitely put it up on the calendar and try. We only have a bit over a week left, so we're packing in as much fishing and kayaking in as we can- a day "off" to go drink beer sounds awesome to me, but maybe not to Bob.

I doubt I can make it, but I'll definitely put it up on the calendar and try. We only have a bit over a week left, so we're packing in as much fishing and kayaking in as we can- a day "off" to go drink beer sounds awesome to me, but maybe not to Bob.

Tell Bob I'll buy HIS first too :D

Tell Bob I'll buy HIS first too :D

Ah, well, that might change things! :D

We have some friends here in the neighborhood down from San Antonio, and I'm not sure if he's going home by next Friday or not. If he's going home, I'll tell him at least to go! If he's staying here through next weekend, we'll probably stay and hang out here with him. He's got a brand new kick ass boat, and we love fishing with him.

Ah, well, that might change things! :D

We have some friends here in the neighborhood down from San Antonio, and I'm not sure if he's going home by next Friday or not. If he's going home, I'll tell him at least to go! If he's staying here through next weekend, we'll probably stay and hang out here with him. He's got a brand new kick ass boat, and we love fishing with him.

I'd rather be fishing with friends too...Good fishing to you!

The Sisyphus vertical tasting will be tomorrow from 4 to 6. Robert has brought the missing year from his personal collection but will have the last 3 years for sale. The tasting will be in the conference room in the back rather than out in the store for everyone walking by as most of their tastings are. I can't wait :tank:

I wish I could go, but even on the motorcycle I couldn't make it in time.

I wish I could make it! We have some house guests, so even if I was planning on it I couldn't do it. We're staying here, and going to the Fulton Oysterfest.

I wish I could make it! We have some house guests, so even if I was planning on it I couldn't do it. We're staying here, and going to the Fulton Oysterfest.

Mmmmm...oysters!!! Eat a few dozen for me and I'll raise a glass to you :tank:

My in laws will be in Corpus this weekend, hoping they can find some crabs and oysters to bring back for my birthday. I've been saving up some special brews (all bought at Gabriel's) to share with friends and family. Lagunitas Gnarlywine, Stone Old Guardian Barleywine, Dogfish Head Squall IPA, and the latest Sisyphus...which I hope to add to on Friday with the cellared 2009 and 2008 they will be selling tomorrow. Oh, and if the early sample of my Devil's Punchbowl Strong Golden is any indication, I will have a whole bunch of awesome ready just in time :D

Back