Damn it, Cat Hair in my Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nierika

Reaction score
Two days ago I made a gallon batch of orange blossom mead. Today when I was checking it out I noticed that there is a cat hair inside the jug. It is not in the mead but in the ring of gunk at the top (is this considere a kraeusen?) I tried to take the airlock off to fish it out, but the airlock is really stuck on there. It is not budging.

Should I be concerned about removing this hair, or do you think it will be ok? Also, any suggestions for removing the airlock withough breaking it or plunging the stopper into the mead (happened with my first batch of apfelwein) would also be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the high alchohol content would kill off any nasties...and if it's one or two strands and not entire clumps I'm sure you're fine...

There was a thread last week about armhair that was funny.

You just need to come up with an appropriate name for your mead... maybe "Hairy P***Y Mead" :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Sounds like cats wanting equal time for Hair of the Dog...:drunk:

drunk%20cat.jpg

Lol... don't tell anyone!!! its FINE... i'm sure there are all sorts of human skin particles and hairs in most batches we brew. Its hard for there not to be when we are constantly putting our hands in the sanitizer.

sirsloop said:
Lol... don't tell anyone!!! its FINE... i'm sure there are all sorts of human skin particles and hairs in most batches we brew. Its hard for there not to be when we are constantly putting our hands in the sanitizer.

Uh yeah....

I realized on brew day, after looking into my bucket of sanitizer, that mebbe I shouldn't have used my electric beard trimmer shortly before heading into the kitchen to brew...:D

Revvy said:
You just need to come up with an appropriate name for your mead... maybe "Hairy P***Y Mead" :D

Ha ha that's great! I think I'm gonna have to take you up on that one. The gf also liked the name :)

I have two corgis, and a cat. Even if i keep every hair out of primary, there's always one in the keg.
you'll be fine.

Revvy said:
Uh yeah....

I realized on brew day, after looking into my bucket of sanitizer, that mebbe I shouldn't have used my electric beard trimmer shortly before heading into the kitchen to brew...:D

Please PLEASE tell me that was because you trimming your beard, and nothing else....

homebrewer_99 said:
Sounds like cats wanting equal time for Hair of the Dog...:drunk:

The unofficial name of my brewery is " Hair of the Cat".

Every single batch that I brewed inside, prior to doing 10 gallon batches outside on the banjo, contained at least a half a dozen cat hairs.

Back