My work is planting Apple trees, I get to pick wich ones ;)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco1500

Reaction score
So my work is planning to plant around a dozen apple trees. I get to help decide which ones. The other guys basically don't care which ones are picked.

Im not a cider maker yet, but I have been a beer brewer for about a year now.

Id love to try cider someday. So for my fellow brewers..... What trees would you plant if you had the options ?

THX

I'm not sure what you climate will support, but I've had great luck using my stayman trees for cider. I don't care to eat them (I prefer a crisper texture), but they are great for pressing.

For eating: Honeycrisp, Fuji, Golden Delicious.
For cider: Kingston Black, Dabinett, Ashmead's Kernal
Maybe a couple of crab apple trees too: Evereste, Hewes, Maypole
Regards, GF.

OK, so two things.

1) Let me know if you ever want to team up picking/juicing.

2) Jonathans grow really well here and are great for cider, sauce and pie. I'm working with some Bellflower this year and have high hopes... they're very sweet, flavorful and loaded with juice. Pippins are an excellent apple and have very good flavor. You really need to just call up Trees of Antiquity down by Atascadero and talk to them. They're serious experts, have massive selection and you can drive down to pick up in person to avoid having the poor trees stuffed in a box.

Also make sure you pick a good crabapple or two to work into the mix, they're great for blending. I got a really nice crabapple tree from Trees of Antiquity this last year.

Latest posts

Back