Brett C Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I pitched 2 Brett C vials into a 1.5 liter starter. I left it on a stir plate for 8 days. The starter formed a thick pellicle on top. My question is this. What do I do now? When and what should I pitch from this starter? My plan is to keep a culture on hand to pitch to some beers this fall to finish as a secondary fermentation.

gandelf said:
First, is the starter to be used in an ALL Bret beer?

No, this is for secondary. I guess my question is what should I do since there is a pellicle on the surface. I can't really decant or step it up without either disturbing the pellicle or losing cells.

Dok said:
No, this is for secondary. I guess my question is what should I do since there is a pellicle on the surface. I can't really decant or step it up without either disturbing the pellicle or losing cells.

The pellicle only forms because of the oxygen getting into the starter. I would cool the starter down (refrigerator) to make sure all dropped out (after 8 days assume it would be anyway). Get the yeast u need/want and store the rest at normal fermentation temps as Brett doesn't need to be stores in frig.

Back