How to fix 36 IBU lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently brewed the following beers:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/rasperries-dates-lambic-376640/
They are 36 IBUs and are fermenting with either Wyeast's Lambic Blend or Roselare Ale Blend.

I am thinking about brewing the same amount of wort but with 0 IBUs, and to add as a secondary addition in order to decrease the IBU...Would it be better to make this addition to my beer now during primary fermentation, or in a few months time?

Another thought is to ferment a second batch of beer which has 0 IBUs on the yeast cake of the first beer, and to blend the two after aging?...

Well, the Brett strains will be ok but the lacto won't really do anything. I don't know enough to say if it will actually be killed, but it probably won't get very sour. Another thought is that you could make a nice puckery Berliner and blend the two of those together to get the tartness you'd want.

Luckily for you the pediococcus will likely still sour the beer. Only time will tell. I have a lacto strain that is in my saison right now at 30ibus and it seems to be souring just fine. It soured a 35ish ibu dubbel about three months ago. I should be bottling soon, oh and it doesn't make the beer ropy either like some of the other more hop tolerant lacto strains. Pedio typically always makes rope in beer I've gathered.

Yes a gueze project could arise from this mistake! You could also ferment the second five gallons with Roselare, which is similar to 3278 but would add complexity to your lambic blend

Back