Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ostomo517 said:
I can picture the music coming to a screeching halt and everyone just stops what theyre doing and slowly turns and stares at him. Lol

I don't know... Beer pong with a RIS sounds like it might be fun...

Here's one of my own from a while ago after I had a Saranac IPA of some sorts:

"I don't like beers from India....they're gross".

Ryush806 said:
I played flip cup with an IPA once. My friends got super drunk...

It was pretty hilarious listening to the whining from my BMC drinking friends when they were forced to down an IPA. One girl had to give up.

That'll teach them

I was in a McCormick and Schmick's a couple weeks ago, and on the beer menu they had a Domestic list, an Import list, and then in wee little lettering down at the bottom it says "Local Craft Brews Also Available". I live just across the river from DC, so I thought "Sweet! Maybe they've got Port City, or DC Brau, or Lost Rhino, or Flying Dog or somesuch."

When I asked the waiter what they had, he said "Yuengling."

And Pottsville, PA is local to DC... how?... ;-D

I just smiled nicely and ordered a Guinness.

When I asked the waiter what they had, he said "Yuengling."

And Pottsville, PA is local to DC... how?... ;-D

I can understand that Pennsylvania is close to DC, therefore any beer brewed in PA is a local beer....if yuengling was only brewed in PA....

But I don't know if I understand how they call it a craft beer...

it's not.

I was in a McCormick and Schmick's

wow... not even DC Brau?

if you can handle the drive out to Dulles, there is a restaurant in Ashburn called Ford's Fish Shack with some awesome seafood and local and not-so-local craft brews, including DC Brau and Lost Rhino

Lost Rhino is close enough you can see the brewery from the Shack.

I can understand that Pennsylvania is close to DC, therefore any beer brewed in PA is a local beer....if yuengling was only brewed in PA....

it's not.

Who determines what is or is not "craft"?
I know some of the folks on here have tried to duplicate the flavor of yuengling and have used a lot of adjuncts, but that doesn't mean they use them in the original recipe (even if they did, plenty of beers use adjuncts- see cream ale, many belgian varieties...)

I'd also point out that in many western states, they'd refer to anything within state as being local, and Pottsville is closer to DC than many of those situations.
So do you determine that yuengling isn't local because they opened a second brewery to serve Florida, or they aren't craft because of that?

The entire "craft" distinction is pretty hazy, and "local" is worse... but I really get a kick out of the fact that OhReally chose, as an alternative to "local, craft" Yuengling, an imported macrobrew.

ETA: I'll point out that I personally wouldn't state categorically that Yuengling IS either local to DC or craft, but I see where others might actually make the argument, so I'm playing devil's advocate. A nearly 200 year old institution that's still family owned deserves more consideration than the quick dismissal that so many give it.

brewers do

Yuengling produces 2.5 million barrels a year, the largest US-owned commercial brewery in the US

the American Brewers Association defines a "craft brewery" as "small, independent and traditional", and gives a production size of less than 6,000,000 US beer barrels (700,000,000 L) a year and can not be more than 24% owned by another alcoholic beverage company that is not itself a craft brewery

(corrected production volume, original was 2005 #, updated with 2011)

if you can handle the drive out to Dulles, there is a restaurant in Ashburn called Ford's Fish Shack with some awesome seafood and local and not-so-local craft brews, including DC Brau and Lost Rhino

Lost Rhino is close enough you can see the brewery from the Shack.

Thanks for this suggestion. Sounds pretty tasty and I'll definitely be checking it out. Easy enough drive.

As for Raenon's
"but I really get a kick out of the fact that OhReally chose, as an alternative to "local, craft" Yuengling, an imported macrobrew."

What can I say? It's my old fallback when nothing else strikes my fancy. There's nothing necessarily wrong with Yuengling, but I just wasn't in the mood for Pennsylvania that night, I guess. :p

I'd also point out that in many western states, they'd refer to anything within state as being local, and Pottsville is closer to DC than many of those situations.

And just for the record, if it takes more than an hour on the highway to drive to, then for me it's not "local." Regional, maybe, in a "Mid-Atlantic States" kinda way. I'd consider Yuengling regional in the same way Dogfish Head is.

After having a meeting regarding beer, brewing and how to discuss beer like you know something, not more than a day or two later I hear one of our waitresses explaning what "full continuation" is. I didn't correct her in front of the customer but politely informed her it is attenuation not continuation.

Just goes to show that sometimes a little knowledge can be a scary thing.

"And just for the record, if it takes more than an hour on the highway to drive to, then for me it's not "local." Regional, maybe, in a "Mid-Atlantic States" kinda way."

I kinda thought everything on the upper east coast was local... jk

It certainly seems that way from where I am. I'm in the center of Texas and it takes virtually all day to get out of this place! Was kinda nice when we stopped in Belmar, NJ, but visited NYC, as well as Annapolis, MD and it didn't take all day!

And it can take an hour and a half (one way) to get good BBQ.

"And just for the record, if it takes more than an hour on the highway to drive to, then for me it's not "local." Regional, maybe, in a "Mid-Atlantic States" kinda way."

I kinda thought everything on the upper east coast was local... jk

It certainly seems that way from where I am. I'm in the center of Texas and it takes virtually all day to get out of this place! Was kinda nice when we stopped in Belmar, NJ, but visited NYC, as well as Annapolis, MD and it didn't take all day!

And it can take an hour and a half (one way) to get good BBQ.

They are talking local and not local for up North. We are Texans, so you have local stuff (meaning: "from Texas"), and the foreign stuff (meaning: "from anywhere else").

They burn the malts in dark beers so that they can cover up bad favors.

-some guy at the bar

cluckk said:
They are talking local and not local for up North. We are Texans, so you have local stuff (meaning: "from Texas"), and the foreign stuff (meaning: "from anywhere else").

I guess it's all about perspective; everything's local when you come from a state that's just shy of 4,000 times the size of DC. ;)

Y'all do have some damn good BBQ, though...

Cheers! [[]]D
:mug:

"And it can take an hour and a half (one way) to get good BBQ."

I can't believe I posted it that way! It should have read:
Ain't gotta go anywhere for good BBQ unless you want someone else to cook it!

"Y'all do have some damn good BBQ, though..."

Despite having been close I can't say I've been to a place known for BBQ on the east coast (Carolina style), but I do enjoy the BBQ up in KC.

That's where SWMBO is from, and she claims everything, including the hills, are better there! Funny that she left it so fast!

Reinheitsgebot is crap. There is little reason to include that adjunct stipulation.

Look, I learned in a Sam Adams commercial from years ago that beers brewed according to a 500 year old law from a foreign country are superior to modern beers. Is that not true?

brewers do

Yuengling produces 2.5 million barrels a year, the largest US-owned commercial brewery in the US

the American Brewers Association defines a "craft brewery" as "small, independent and traditional", and gives a production size of less than 6,000,000 US beer barrels (700,000,000 L) a year and can not be more than 24% owned by another alcoholic beverage company that is not itself a craft brewery

(corrected production volume, original was 2005 #, updated with 2011)

Ok then, Yuengling is at 2.5 million, versus the 6 million limit to be called "small"
They are independent, still owned and operated by the Yuengling family.

And with a history of nearly 200 years, I think we can safely assume that most of their continuing recipes are fairly traditional. Their popular Lager perhaps is the exception since it was introduced in the 80's, but many of their other recipes are supposed to be pretty much the same as they were.

Yay! I get to be a craft beer snob without breaking the budget! ;)

The BA seems to disqualify D.G. Yuengling and Sons Inc. based on the adjunct stipulation. The adjunct stipulation seems to be pretty subjective. Seeing as how adjuncts could be right for the style of beer Yuengling makes. I think the most important thing is being independent of BMC and size. Heck those 2 don't even bother me as long as the beer is good. I admit being jealous of people who like inexpensive mass produced beer. I wish my beer cost as little as theirs does.

When I started getting into beer, I drank a lot of Yuengling. Still will have a few when it costs 8$ for a craft draft at the bar, or when I have guests that drink bmc. To me they are still a micro, and family owned with a good beer is the selling factor.

yesterday we got some new neighbors right across the street. I saw them in the liquor store.
husband: what kind of beer do you want?
wife:it all tastes the same to me.
husband: ok, you'll have Busch Light then & I'll drink the good stuff.

I looked over and he had a case of Busch Light & a case of Bud Light. I laughed a little and said, "you won that one." he smiled & nodded like he was getting away with something.:smack:

:smack::smack::smack:
yesterday we got some new neighbors right across the street. I saw them in the liquor store.
husband: what kind of beer do you want?
wife:it all tastes the same to me.
husband: ok, you'll have Busch Light then & I'll drink the good stuff.

I looked over and he had a case of Busch Light & a case of Bud Light. I laughed a little and said, "you won that one." he smiled & nodded like he was getting away with something.:smack:

:smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack:

A guy at work asks what I am doing over the weekend. "Not much." I say, "Might brew some beer." "Wow!" Says the guy, "You ever get caught?"

As I was cleaning my garage today, I was taking count of all of my bottles and other supplies (sadly I broke both my hydrometer and thermometer) and he asked "why do you have so many bottles?" I said I used to brew my own beer and now I'm getting started again.

He said, "well make sure the cops don't see you, its illegal you know." After clarifying how it isn't illegal he still said it was since making Moonshine is illegal, why would it be okay to make beer. Then he reminded me not to get caught.

On a craft beer blog devoted to the very best beers in the world: "weizenbocks and dunkelweizens are some of my favorite lager styles". The guy obviously drops major coin on rare beers to rate, so this was a bit surprising.

After laughing my @ss off to this thread for the past month, I finally have a contribution.

Sent a sixer of my first beer, a cooper's ipa extract kit, to my sister and BIL, been waiting for a few weeks for some feedback, was worried that they had tried it and were afraid to tell me it sucked. They normally drink BMC but i've caught 'em with some good stuff in the fridge now and then.

Sis texted me tonight, they had some people over and broke it out. "overall impression is that they like it, xyz said that it was a really good stout, almost like guiness"

She said she tried to explain the ipa part but to no avail. (in their defense, it did come out very dark, i guess the BMC crowd has 2 categories, light beer (fizzy yellow water) and guiness (anything darker than urine)

After laughing my @ss off to this thread for the past month, I finally have a contribution.

Sent a sixer of my first beer, a cooper's ipa extract kit, to my sister and BIL, been waiting for a few weeks for some feedback, was worried that they had tried it and were afraid to tell me it sucked. They normally drink BMC but i've caught 'em with some good stuff in the fridge now and then.

Sis texted me tonight, they had some people over and broke it out. "overall impression is that they like it, xyz said that it was a really good stout, almost like guiness"

She said she tried to explain the ipa part but to no avail. (in their defense, it did come out very dark, i guess the BMC crowd has 2 categories, light beer (fizzy yellow water) and guiness (anything darker than urine)

Before I knew anything about beer, I thought that beer comes in five flavors: light lager, premium lager, ice lager, dry lager and dark lager. That's all the beer flavors.

Any other description was simply superfluous.

Latest posts

Back